Register to reply

Why does a chemical compound precipitate metals differently than metal

Share this thread:
BernieM
Apr11-14, 02:47 PM
P: 130
In a solution of aqua regia (or other acids), if there is a precious metal dissolved, along with other metal ( such as other precious metals or base metals), and you add a powdered metal, you precipitate all the metals lower than it on the reactivity list.

If however, you use a chemical compound (such as sodium metabisulfate to precipitate gold or ammonium chloride for platinum), it predominantly only precipitates one particular metal.

Why is the compound selective?
Phys.Org News Partner Chemistry news on Phys.org
Building the ideal rest stop for protons
Direct reaction heavy atoms to catalyst surface demonstrated
Cagey material acts as alcohol factory
Yanick
Apr12-14, 04:56 PM
P: 380
Your first example is redox chemistry and your precipitating M0 which was reduced by whatever reducing agent you added to your solution, the electrons don't care where they go as long as they are lower in energy and so on. Whereas in the second case you are doing a so-called Metathesis/Exchange Reaction and you are precipitating Ma|b|Ab|a|.
BernieM
Apr13-14, 12:07 AM
P: 130
I see my error now, thinking that it was all valence electron exchanges. Thanks.

Register to reply