Sensor Setup: Touch to Light, Buy & Cost, Cheap Price

• Thread starter anubodh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sensor
In summary, the person is looking for a setup involving a sensor that can activate a circuit from a distance of less than 6m and turn on a bulb when touched, and break the circuit when the finger is removed. They prefer a small and inexpensive sensor, and are asking for recommendations on which sensor to buy and how to set up the circuit. The recommended option is a capacitive touch sensor, which can be found relatively cheap and simple to use, but there are also more expensive options available. The conversation also mentions that the sensor does not require physical force to operate, as it uses electric detection of the finger's presence.
anubodh
I want such a setup that when i touch the sensor, a circuit (including batteries) kept at a distance of less than 6 m gets complete and the bulb lights up and when i leave the finger from sensor the circuit breakes and the bulb stops glowing. i.e. the switch of the circuit in in the control of my hand.The sensor should be as small as possible.
I wanted to ask which sensor should i buy and how much it would cost and how can i prepare such a setup.(the sensor should be as cheap as possible)

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your best option here would be a capacitive touch sensor which can be miniature relatively cheap and simple to use or the more robust options available out there can get quite expensive ...

The market of touch sensitive equipment, buttons sensors is quite large and come in many forms and working solutions but as above I think that's one to look into first.

Check this link out ...I found it within 30s so I'm sure with a little more time you can source a set-up more tailored to your needs.http://www.inmotion.pt/store/standalone-momentary-capacitive-touch-sensor-breakout-at42qt101

Thanks.
How much minimum force can a relatively cheap sensor (like the one you told) need for working.

Read the link I posted it explains ... you don't apply force as such to operate it, it uses the presence of your finger which is electrically detected not detected by physically pressure.

Last edited:

Based on your requirements, I would recommend using a capacitive touch sensor for your setup. These sensors are small, inexpensive, and can easily be integrated into a circuit. They work by detecting changes in capacitance when touched, which can then be used to trigger the circuit to turn on or off.

As for cost, capacitive touch sensors can range from a few dollars to around $20, depending on the brand and features. It would be best to do some research and compare prices to find the most suitable and affordable option for your setup.

To prepare the setup, you will need to gather the necessary components including the capacitive touch sensor, a battery pack, wires, and a light bulb. You will also need to assemble the circuit in a way that allows the sensor to trigger the circuit and turn on the light bulb when touched, and break the circuit when the touch is removed.

If you are not familiar with circuit building, it may be helpful to consult a guide or seek assistance from someone with experience in this area. Additionally, there are many resources available online that can provide step-by-step instructions for creating a touch sensor circuit.

Overall, with the right components and some basic knowledge of circuit building, you should be able to prepare a touch to light setup that meets your requirements at a relatively low cost. I hope this helps and good luck with your project!

1. What is a touch to light sensor setup?

A touch to light sensor setup is a technology that allows for lights to be turned on or off simply by touching a designated area or object. It uses capacitive sensing to detect changes in electrical charge when a person touches the area, triggering a response to turn on or off the lights.

2. How do I set up a touch to light sensor?

Setting up a touch to light sensor involves placing the sensor in the desired location and connecting it to a power source. The sensor will typically come with instructions on how to calibrate it for sensitivity and adjust the settings for the desired response. Some touch to light sensors may also require the use of a controller or smart home hub for full functionality.

3. What is the cost of a touch to light sensor setup?

The cost of a touch to light sensor setup can vary depending on the brand, type of sensor, and additional equipment needed. On average, a basic touch to light sensor can range from $20 to $50, while more advanced sensors can cost upwards of $100. Additional equipment, such as controllers or smart home hubs, can also add to the overall cost.

4. Are touch to light sensors expensive to buy?

The price of a touch to light sensor can vary, but they are generally affordable to purchase. Some may seem more expensive than traditional light switches, but the convenience and energy-saving benefits of touch to light sensors can make them a cost-effective choice in the long run.

5. Can I find touch to light sensors at a cheap price?

There are options for touch to light sensors at a lower cost, such as basic models or off-brand versions. However, it is important to ensure the quality and functionality of the sensor before purchasing. It is also important to consider any additional equipment needed and the overall cost of the setup when looking for a cheap touch to light sensor.