TEG&Li+ batteries to power data collection sensors

In summary, Omar is an undergraduate electrical engineering student working on a senior project to power data collection sensors for an autoclave using a thermoelectric generator. After researching, he realized that there is no efficient way to solely power the high consuming sensors with TEGs. He proposes using a rechargeable battery and boost converter to supply the necessary energy, with a trickle charge circuit for when the TEGs' efficiency is below 85%. Omar is looking for advice on how to build this system, including the use of a MOSFT transistor as a switch and how to isolate the stages.
omar-us
Hi all,

This is Omar undergraduate electrical engineering student. I am doing my senior project on powering data collection sensors( 3- resistance temperature detectors and 1- pressure transducers) of autoclave by using thermoelectric generator!. the sensors are connected in // to a 24V common node and use a roughly 2A when the sensors are transmitting data to the receiver"its peak value!". As the autoclave uses steam, I was asked to build a complete power system that can supply the sensors as its without redesigning being involved by using the TEG's!. After days of thinking and reading across the internet, I realized there is no such a way to power the high power consuming sensors I am dealing with by TEG's alone!. I came up with an Idea and I would like to get your inputs and advice to achieve it if its valid!.

The idea is based on the cell-phone charging! I mean we can use the cell-phone while we are charging its battery and I figured why not to use a rechargeable battery that can supply enough energy and use boost converter to get to 24V while there will be a trickle charge circuit that can store the TEG's output power "SC" and supply the battery with charge when its efficiency below 85%.! Also, the hole system has to be self controlled " ex: when the autoclave is not operating the battery has to stop supplying the sensors! I am thinking about using MOSFT transistor as a switch that is base is dependent on the TEG's output in order to kill the power line!. On the other hand, I am totally lost where should I start in order to build the system! I have read a lot regarding on rechargeable battery types how to trickle charge it but no Idea how to build voltage controlled current source by using TEG's and determine the correct value of SC to store the energy and how to trickle charge the circuit when the efficiency 85%!Plus, how I can trickle charge the battery while its supplying the sensors and is it possible! and the big question is how to isolate the stages! is didoes enough to prevent current change direction! " there will be voltage drops and I am trying to save as much power as I can"!.

any thoughts will be highly appreciated. BTW English is not my first language so excuse me if you don't understand what I am saying will be happy to explain again ^_^''

Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,

omar-us said:
... sensors are connected in // to a 24V common node and use a roughly 2A
Just what kind of (transmitting data -> digital?) sensors would consume 50W total in operation? Are you sure about those numbers?

2A is just extreme. To power it with TEG would require so much effort, that - by my opinion - to replace those sensors with some decent ones (which are not some leftovers from the cold war era, judged by the consumption) would result in a far cheaper project.

1. What are TEG&Li+ batteries?

TEG&Li+ batteries are a type of battery that combines the technology of a thermoelectric generator (TEG) with the use of lithium ions (Li+) to generate and store energy. TEG technology involves converting temperature differences into electricity, while lithium ions are used as the charge carriers in the battery.

2. How do TEG&Li+ batteries power data collection sensors?

TEG&Li+ batteries are able to power data collection sensors by using the electricity generated from the TEG technology to charge the lithium ions in the battery. The charged ions then flow through the battery, creating an electrical current that can power the sensors.

3. What are the benefits of using TEG&Li+ batteries for data collection sensors?

There are several benefits to using TEG&Li+ batteries for data collection sensors. Firstly, they are more environmentally friendly compared to traditional batteries, as they do not rely on fossil fuels for energy generation. Additionally, TEG&Li+ batteries have a longer lifespan and can be recharged multiple times, making them more cost-effective in the long run. They also have a high energy density, meaning they can store a lot of energy in a compact size, making them ideal for powering small sensors.

4. How efficient are TEG&Li+ batteries for powering data collection sensors?

The efficiency of TEG&Li+ batteries for powering data collection sensors depends on various factors, such as the design and materials used in the battery. However, in general, TEG&Li+ batteries have shown to be more efficient compared to traditional batteries, with some studies reporting efficiencies of up to 50%. This is due to the combination of TEG technology and the use of lithium ions, which allows for a higher conversion of temperature differences into electricity.

5. What are the potential applications of TEG&Li+ batteries in data collection?

TEG&Li+ batteries have a wide range of potential applications in data collection. They can be used in remote or off-grid locations where traditional power sources are not available. This includes applications in environmental monitoring, smart agriculture, and industrial monitoring. TEG&Li+ batteries can also be used in wearable devices, such as fitness trackers, to power sensors and collect data on the go. Additionally, they can be used in energy harvesting systems to power sensors in smart buildings and homes.