Why Sound Doesnt Travel Through A Vacuum

by Keeling16
Tags: sound, travel, vacuum
Share this thread:
Keeling16
May9-05, 09:07 PM
P: 1
Hey guys!
I am just wondering if any of ya'll can help give me a good in depth understanding of "why sound waves can not travel through a vacuum".

Also if any of ya'll know how to show a class presentation of how to demonstrate this and good instructions on how to make this object please let me know a.s.a.p.

I would deeply appreciate it!

Thanks...
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
Security CTO to detail Android Fake ID flaw at Black Hat
Huge waves measured for first time in Arctic Ocean
Mysterious molecules in space
chroot
May9-05, 09:17 PM
Emeritus
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 10,429
"Sound" refers to waves of compression which travel through matter. When there is no matter, there can be no such waves, and therefore no sound.

- Warren
jason17349
May10-05, 10:06 AM
P: 22
The animation of the longitudinal wave on this website is a good example of sound waves. If those were molecules of air they would continute bouncing like that until they hit your ear drum and then you would hear sound. Without those molecules or any others there could be no compression waves and no sound.

Galileo
May10-05, 10:21 AM
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
P: 2,002
Why Sound Doesnt Travel Through A Vacuum

You can demonstrate this of front of class by taking an alarm clock, a bell jar and a vacuum pump.
Let the alarm clock ring and put the jar on top of it. As you pump away the air from the jar the sound will diminish until it is gone completely. When you let the air back in, you'll hear the sound again.

Hopefully (probably) they'll have the necessary equipment at your school. Physics at school should always be accompanied by experiments.

Register to reply