Height of fluid in cylinder

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with calculating the height of fluid in a cylinder based on its total volume and the volume of the fluid. The solution involves knowing the geometry of the cylinder and using equations to calculate the depth of the fluid. There is also a suggestion to use a spreadsheet for easier calculations.
frankivalli
Thanks in advance!

I have problem that is causing me a headache to no end. In a cylinder, if one knows the total volume of cylinder and total volume of fluid in said cylinder, how would the height of this fluid be computed? I have no problems calculating volumes based on height, but the other way around and aargghhhh

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You need to know the specific shape of the cylinder, not just the total volume of it.
Does the problem provide you with the horizontal radius of the cylinder, or maybe the height of the cylinder?

The radius of the cylinder is 46 inches. The height of the fluid is below the total height if the cylinder. So, volume of cylinder would be 1000 ft^3, radius of cylinder is 46 inches, and volume of the fluid is 300 ft^3. What is the height of the fluid in the cylinder

Do you know the formula for calculating the volume of a cylinder, given the radius and the height?

It also makes a difference how the cylinder is oriented. If the cylinder is vertical, the volume is proportional to the height. If the cylinder is lying horizontally, it's harder to determine the height of liquid from the volume that's present in the tank.

Indeed, the answer comes easily if the cylinder is vertically oriented. Then pi*r^2*h is the quick solution. But, if the cylinder is on its side... This is the problem I am trying to solve. I have no problem determining the volume of fluid in a partially filled tank when height of fluid is given and radius of cylinder is supplied. I am trying to work backwards, and am having no luck :(

frankivalli said:
Indeed, the answer comes easily if the cylinder is vertically oriented. Then pi*r^2*h is the quick solution. But, if the cylinder is on its side... This is the problem I am trying to solve. I have no problem determining the volume of fluid in a partially filled tank when height of fluid is given and radius of cylinder is supplied. I am trying to work backwards, and am having no luck :(

It seems like you have all the right information; what you are lacking is the geometry to make this information useful to you:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circular_segment

You have a cylinder with diameter d = 46" and a total capacity of 1000 ft^3.

If this cylinder is oriented so that its axis is horizontal, then the length of the cylinder will be:

V = π*r[itex]^{2}[/itex]L

1000 = π (23/12)[itex]^{2}[/itex]L

L = 86.65 ft approx.

Now, the cylinder is filled to 300 ft^3, what is the depth of the contents?

In this case, we want to find the cross sectional area A so that A*L = 300 ft^3

A = 300 / 86.65 = 3.46 ft^2 approx.

We know from the article on circular segments that:

A = (r[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2)*(α - sin(α)), where α is the central angle in radians

So:

3.46 = [(23/12)[itex]^{2}[/itex]/2]*(α - sin(α))

(α - sin(α)) = 1.885 approx.

This equation can be solved by iteration:
Code:
   α        α - sin(α)
  1.000     0.1585
  2.000     1.0907
  2.500     1.9015
  2.490     1.8835
  2.491     1.8853

so α = 2.491 radians approx., which means the central angle Θ = 142.72 deg.

From the article:

h = r*(1 - cos(Θ/2))

so

h = (23)*(1 - cos(2.491/2)) = 15.65 inches

For a capacity of 300 ft^3, the depth of the contents is about 15.65 inches.

Calculations like this can be programmed into a spreadsheet, so that you can make a table of capacities for the cylinder at different depths. You can either measure the depth of fluid directly, or measure to the surface of the fluid, which distance is called the ullage.

1. What is the significance of measuring the height of fluid in a cylinder?

The height of fluid in a cylinder is an important measurement in many scientific and engineering applications. It can be used to determine the volume, density, and pressure of the fluid, as well as to monitor fluid levels in various processes and systems.

2. How is the height of fluid in a cylinder measured?

The height of fluid in a cylinder can be measured using a variety of techniques, including using a ruler or measuring tape, using a graduated cylinder or burette, or using a pressure gauge or sensor. The method used will depend on the type of cylinder and the properties of the fluid being measured.

3. What factors can affect the height of fluid in a cylinder?

The height of fluid in a cylinder can be affected by various factors, such as the temperature, pressure, and composition of the fluid, as well as the shape and size of the cylinder. Gravity and external forces can also impact the height of fluid in a cylinder.

4. How does the height of fluid in a cylinder relate to the volume of the fluid?

The height of fluid in a cylinder is directly related to the volume of the fluid, as long as the cross-sectional area of the cylinder remains constant. This means that if the height of fluid increases, the volume of fluid also increases, and vice versa.

5. What are some practical applications of measuring the height of fluid in a cylinder?

The measurement of the height of fluid in a cylinder is commonly used in industries such as chemical, pharmaceutical, and food processing, as well as in laboratory experiments and research. It is also important in monitoring and controlling the levels of liquids in tanks, reservoirs, and other systems.