Are these reaction mechanisms drawn correctly?

• Thread starter sgstudent
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation discusses a reaction involving an electron rich X and an electron poor carbon. The first mechanism (1) is considered correct, while the correctness of the second mechanism (2) is uncertain due to conflicting charges on the atoms involved. The solution used in the reaction and the desired final products are also mentioned. It is also questioned whether there are two known mechanisms for this reaction.
sgstudent
http://imgur.com/cIprKmy

To re explain here, I know that (1) is correct as the X is electron rich while the carbon is electron poor so the reaction is correct.

But for (2) I'm not entirely sure if it is correct. if we just consider the electronegativity of X and N Then as drawn N should be partially positive and so it is electron deficient and so it can accept the electron pair from the oxygen atom. But Then again, X has a negative charge so that would affect the charge on N so I'm not sure whether N is electron rich (nucleophile) which means the mechanism drawn is wrong or electron poor (electrophile) which means the mechanism drawn is correct.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this reaction have two known mechanisms? (i.e. is it given that there are two mechanisms)

What is the solution (water or X-N)? And what are you "hoping" to be the final product(s)?

1. What is a reaction mechanism?

A reaction mechanism is a detailed step-by-step explanation of the chemical reactions that take place during a chemical reaction. It involves the identification of the reactants, intermediates, and products, as well as the sequence of events that occur during the reaction.

2. Why is it important to draw reaction mechanisms correctly?

Drawing reaction mechanisms correctly is important because it helps to accurately represent the sequence of events that occur during a chemical reaction. This allows other scientists to understand and replicate the reaction, as well as make predictions about the products and potential side reactions.

3. How can I tell if a reaction mechanism is drawn correctly?

A correct reaction mechanism should follow the principles of chemical bonding and electron movement, as well as be consistent with experimental data and known chemical properties. It should also account for the conservation of atoms and charge throughout the reaction.

4. What are some common mistakes when drawing reaction mechanisms?

Common mistakes when drawing reaction mechanisms include omitting important intermediates or steps, incorrect placement of electron movements, and not considering the correct stereochemistry. It is also important to ensure that the overall reaction is thermodynamically and kinetically feasible.

5. Can software programs be used to draw reaction mechanisms?

Yes, there are several software programs available that can assist in drawing reaction mechanisms. However, it is important to carefully review and validate the drawn mechanism to ensure it accurately represents the chemical reaction and follows the principles of chemical bonding and electron movement.