Register to reply

Energy levels at semiconductor/liquid electrolyte interface

by Useful nucleus
Tags: electrolyte, energy, interface, levels
Share this thread:
Useful nucleus
Jun10-14, 11:50 AM
P: 264
Suppose we have an interface between a semiconductor and a liquid electrolyte that contains a redox couple whose redox level is ER. Let Ecs be the edge of the semiconductor conduction band at the interface. Is Ecs-ER constant independent of the doping level in the semiconductor? The papers I read seam to imply this but it is hard to me to accept it. Any hints or recommended reference will be very appreciated.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
New complex oxides could advance memory devices
'Squid skin' metamaterials project yields vivid color display
Scientists control surface tension to manipulate liquid metals (w/ Video)
Greg Bernhardt
Jun20-14, 11:42 AM
Admin
P: 9,709
I'm sorry you are not generating any responses at the moment. Is there any additional information you can share with us? Any new findings?
itaischles
Jun27-14, 01:25 PM
P: 12
I'm not really sure about it but might they assume the pinning of the Fermi level at the interface due to surface states?

Useful nucleus
Jul8-14, 02:08 AM
P: 264
Energy levels at semiconductor/liquid electrolyte interface

Quote Quote by itaischles View Post
I'm not really sure about it but might they assume the pinning of the Fermi level at the interface due to surface states?
You are right about the pinning of Fermi level in the case where there are surface states.
But in the absence of surface states, it seems that the position of the conduction band edge at the surface is fixed even if dilute doping is introduced.

I actually found some experimental results that support this claim, but still do not have an understanding for why this has to be the case.
itaischles
Jul9-14, 12:05 PM
P: 12
So any news about that? I'm semi-interested since it has a minor role in one of my measuring techniques in my research.

Register to reply