Parity of stress tensor versus stress-energy tensor

In summary, the stress-energy tensor and stress tensor have different properties under a spacetime parity transformation. While the stress-energy tensor is an actual tensor, the stress tensor is not a real tensor and has opposite parity properties. This can be seen in three-dimensional continuum mechanics, where the stress tensor takes a normal vector as an input (axial vector) and gives a stress vector as an output (true vector). However, the stress tensor can be defined as a cross product, making it even under parity and the stress-energy tensor odd under parity.
bcrowell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
The stress-energy tensor is an actual tensor, i.e., under a spacetime parity transformation it stays the same, which is what a tensor with two indices is supposed to do according to the tensor transformation law. This also makes sense because in the Einstein field equations, the stress-energy tensor is related to the Einstein tensor, which is tensorial.

However, in three-dimensional continuum mechanics, the stress tensor takes a normal vector as an input and gives a stress vector as an output. In three dimensions, a normal vector is an axial vector (even under parity), while a stress vector is a true vector (odd under parity). Therefore it seems that the stress 3-tensor must be odd under parity, which makes it not a real tensor.

Is this analysis correct? I'm used to thinking of the stress 3-tensor as a block of elements in the stress-energy tensor, when they're expressed in Minkowski coordinates. Doesn't that imply that they should have the same parity properties?

Physics news on Phys.org
bcrowell said:
However, in three-dimensional continuum mechanics, the stress tensor takes a normal vector as an input and gives a stress vector as an output. In three dimensions, a normal vector is an axial vector (even under parity), while a stress vector is a true vector (odd under parity). Therefore it seems that the stress 3-tensor must be odd under parity, which makes it not a real tensor.
I'd say that the quantities are all defined relative to a small element of the matter, with the convention that "outward" is the positive sense. The normal vector ni is the outward normal, and when you do the parity reflection, volume element and all, the reflected normal vector points in the other direction, but is again outward.

Likewise for the stress vector, Ti = τij nj the positive sense is taken to be outward, and remains so under reflection.

bcrowell said:
@Bill_K: Your #2 reads to me as a confirmation, by a different line of reasoning, of the result I arrived at in the second paragraph of my #1. Am I understanding you correctly?
Um, no, quite the opposite! :smile: I'm saying that if τij is positive, it will remain positive under reflection, so it's a real tensor.

Hmm...OK, I see what you mean. Let's say we have a cube with sides of length 2, centered on the origin, with edges parallel to the Cartesian axes. Let's take a normal vector at point P=(1,0,0). This normal vector equals (1,0,0), pointing in the outward direction.

Now define new coordinates (x',y',z')=(-x,-y,-z). In these coordinates, the point P is (-1,0,0). The normal vector points in the outward direction, so it's (-1,0,0).

So under a parity inversion, the normal vector has flipped signs. That makes it a vector, not an axial vector.

The reason I was thinking of it as an axial vector was that if it's defined by a vector cross product, then it doesn't change under a parity flip. I was influenced by this argument: http://mathoverflow.net/a/171888/21349

I think what's going on is that you can define the normal vector as a cross product, in which case it does not necessarily point outward, it's even under parity, and the stress tensor needs to be odd under parity. Or if you have a closed surface, you can define the normal vector as pointing outward, in which case it's odd under parity, the stress tensor is even under parity, and everything is tensorial.

Last edited:

1. What is the difference between the parity of stress tensor and stress-energy tensor?

The parity of the stress tensor refers to its symmetry properties under spatial reflections, while the stress-energy tensor refers to the energy and momentum density of a system. In other words, the parity of the stress tensor determines how its components change under a coordinate transformation, while the stress-energy tensor describes the distribution of energy and momentum within a system.

2. How do the parity properties of the stress tensor affect physical systems?

The parity properties of the stress tensor can have significant effects on the behavior of physical systems. For example, in systems with mirror symmetry, the stress tensor will have certain components that are conserved, which can influence the overall dynamics of the system. Additionally, the parity of the stress tensor can determine the direction of forces and the stability of systems.

3. What is the relationship between the parity of stress tensor and conservation laws?

The parity of the stress tensor is closely related to conservation laws, such as energy and momentum conservation. In systems with parity symmetry, these conservation laws hold true and can be described by the stress tensor. However, in systems without parity symmetry, these conservation laws may not be valid, and the stress tensor may not fully describe the dynamics of the system.

4. How does the parity of stress tensor relate to the fundamental forces of nature?

The parity of the stress tensor is intimately connected to the fundamental forces of nature, such as gravity and electromagnetism. For example, in general relativity, the stress-energy tensor is used to describe the distribution of mass and energy, which in turn affects the curvature of spacetime. In electromagnetism, the stress tensor can be used to calculate the forces between charged particles.

5. What is the significance of the parity of stress tensor in studying complex systems?

The parity of the stress tensor is crucial in understanding the behavior of complex systems, such as fluids, plasmas, and materials. By analyzing the symmetry properties of the stress tensor, researchers can gain insight into the underlying physical processes and predict the behavior of these systems. Additionally, the parity of the stress tensor can reveal underlying patterns and relationships that may not be apparent from other perspectives.