Can You Solve These Grade 11 Trigonometry Problems?

• Thread starter Raza
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Grade 11
In summary, the conversation involves questions about putting an expression into an exact ratio, factoring an expression, solving an equation, and finding the number of solutions to an equation. The solutions and steps for each question are provided, with additional advice for improving factoring skills.
Raza
[tex]1)~How~would~I~put~this~into~exact~ratio?[/tex]

[tex]Cos\frac{5pi}{6}[/tex]

[tex]2)~How~would~factor~this~expression?[/tex]

[tex]Cosx-2SinxCosx[/tex]

[tex]This~is~not~a~quick~question~but~I~think~it~is~tough.~I~got~1~out~of~9~in~it.[/tex] :grumpy:
[tex]3)~How~would~I~solve~this~equation?[/tex]

[tex]6Cosx^2x+Sinx-4=0~for~ 0^0<x<360^0[/tex]

[tex]4)~How~many~solutions~does~the~equation~\sqrt 2cos(2x)=1~for~0<x<2pi~have?[/tex]

[tex]Any~help~will~be~appreciated![/tex]

[tex]THANK~YOU[/tex] :smile:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You give it a try first.

I know the answer to the 1st question is -0.86602540378443864676372317075294 but how do I convert this into a fraction? My guess the answer has to be [tex]Cos(\frac{5pi}{1})[/tex]

As for the 2nd question, my teacher gave me a zero on this question and I don't know what I did wrong.
[tex](Cosx-Sinx)(Cosx+Sinx)[/tex]

For the 3rd question,
[tex]6Cosx^2x+Sinx-4=0~for~ 0^0~<0<360^0[/tex] factors into [tex](3Cosx-2)(3Cosx+2)[/tex]
| |
| |
| |
| |-------------->[tex]2Cosx+2=0[/tex]
| |-------------->[tex]Cosx=-\frac{2}{2}[/tex]
| |-------------->[tex]Cosx=-1[/tex]
|
|
[tex]3Cosx-2=0[/tex]
[tex]Cosx=\frac{2}{3}[/tex]

Last edited:
-0.86602540378443864676372317075294 reduces to a very common ratio in trig. Do you have a unit circle handy? Or some trig tables? Maybe drawing out a 30-60-90 triangle with hypotenuse 1, short side 0.5. Solve for the long side.

Thank you for help me with question 1, it's [tex]-\frac{\sqrt3}{2}[/tex]

The factorisation question...

[tex]\cos x - 2 \sin x \cos x[/tex]

You answered:

[tex](\cos x-\sin x)(\cos x+ \sin x)[/tex]

But if we expand that out we get:

[tex]\cos^2 x - \sin^2 x[/tex]

which is obviously not the same as the original expression. The best you can do for the original expression is:

[tex]\cos x - 2 \sin x \cos x = \cos x(1 - 2 \sin x)[/tex]

If you are allowed double angles, you can get
[tex] \cos x - \sin 2x [/tex] which is a bit simpler.

I understand how to do 1 and 2 (Thank You) but how would you do the 4th one? That is the one where I got 1 out 9 on the unit test.

[tex] \sqrt 2 \cos 2x = 1 [/tex] for x.

Divide both sides by [itex] \sqrt 2 [/itex].

Then for simplicity, say u = 2x.

[tex] \cos u = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} = \frac{\sqrt 2}{2} [/tex]

Solving that gives you u. Then use the u = 2x equation above to find x.

I have tried to figure out question 3 myself. Could someone please check my work?

[tex]6Cos^2x+Sinx-4=0~for~ 0^0[/tex]

[tex]6Cos^2x+Sinx=4[/tex]

[tex]6(1-Sin^2x)+Sinx=4[/tex]

[tex]1-Sin^2x+Sinx=\frac{4}{6}[/tex] *Rearrange it as Sin2x+1-Sinx and factor it

[tex](Sinx+1)(Sinx-1)=\frac{4}{6}[/tex]

For (Sinx-1)
[tex]Sinx-1=\frac{4}{6}[/tex]
[tex]Sinx=-\frac{5}{3}[/tex]

For (Sinx+1)
[tex]Sinx+1=\frac{4}{6}[/tex]
[tex]Sinx=\frac{5}{3}[/tex]

Between lines 3 and 4, you divide both sides by 6, you must also divide the single (sinx) term by 6.

Also, between lines 4 and 5 you factor [itex] 1 - sin^2x + sinx [/itex] incorrectly. You seem to have trouble with factoring, try reviewing some. When you expand the binomials you wrote you get [itex] sin^2x - 1 [/tex] which isn't equal to the original expression.

Also note, sinx is always bounded by -1 and 1. Your two answers lie outside these bounds.

Raza said:
I have tried to figure out question 3 myself. Could someone please check my work?

[itex]6Cos^2x+Sinx-4=0~for~ 0^0[/itex]

[itex]6Cos^2x+Sinx=4[/itex]

[itex]6(1-Sin^2x)+Sinx=4[/itex]
[itex]1-Sin^2x+Sinx=\frac{4}{6}[/itex]
I see a problem. On the left side you neglected to divide [itex] \frac{Sinx}{6} [/itex]
then you would have: [itex] 1-Sin^2x+\frac{Sinx}{6}=\frac{4}{6} [/itex] which isn't too easy to work with.

instead, how about multiplying through and factoring?
[itex]6(1-Sin^2x)+Sinx=4[/itex]
[itex]6-6Sin^2x+Sinx-4=0[/itex]
[itex]-6Sin^2x+Sinx+2=0[/itex] .. you get the idea? :rolleyes:

[edition]: I see whozum spotted the same trouble.. If you factor as I suggest, you will get two solutions that do lie on the unit circle (bounded by +1 and -1)

Last edited:

1. What is the difficulty level of these math questions?

The difficulty level of these math questions is suitable for Grade 11 students. The questions involve basic algebra, geometry, and trigonometry concepts that are typically covered in the curriculum for this grade level.

2. How much time do I have to complete these math questions?

You should aim to complete these math questions within 20-30 minutes. This will give you enough time to carefully read and understand each question, and also to double check your answers.

3. Can I use a calculator for these math questions?

Yes, you are allowed to use a calculator for these math questions. However, it is recommended that you try to solve the questions without a calculator first in order to strengthen your problem-solving skills.

4. Are there any resources or formulas that I need to know for these math questions?

No, all the necessary formulas and equations are provided within the questions. However, having a basic understanding of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry concepts will make it easier for you to solve the questions.

5. Can I check my answers after completing the questions?

Yes, the answers to these math questions will be provided after you submit your responses. It is recommended that you check your answers and review any mistakes in order to improve your understanding of the concepts.