Fork made sparks in a microwave

• Thread starter oneamp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Microwave
In summary, the conversation discusses how electromagnetic waves in a microwave can induce a current on metal objects, but the current can only consume power if resistance is present. The low resistance of both the fork and the walls of the microwave can create high RF voltages and cause corona discharge, leading to an arc between the fork and the wall. This can result in a burn mark, similar to an arc welder. The conversation also mentions the importance of not putting conductive metal objects in a microwave.
oneamp
I understand that the electromagnetic waves inside a microwave can induce a current (terminology?) on a metal object within it. What I don't understand is why, when my fork touched the interior casing of the microwave, it made a lot of sparks and an arc-welder like black mark on the wall. If the wall is conductive, why don't the waves induce current on them, as well?

Engineering news on Phys.org
The current induced in the conductive fork can only consume power if resistance is present. W = I2R
The fork has very low resistance. The walls of the microwave are also very low resistance.

Standing waves with very high voltage can exist on the fork if it's length is close to resonance at the microwave frequency. Those high RF voltages may cause corona discharge from the ends of the fork. When one end of the fork gets close enough to the wall it will arc over. The corona voltage accelerates electrons between the wall and fork which creates a cloud of metal particles in a plasma arc. That is why it looks like an arc welder burn.

Have you never been told not to put conductive metal objects in a microwave?

Baluncore said:
Have you never been told not to put conductive metal objects in a microwave?

Apparently not :wink:

Dave

1. Can putting a fork in a microwave cause sparks?

Yes, putting a fork in a microwave can cause sparks. This is because forks are made of metal, which is a conductor of electricity. When the metal fork comes in contact with the microwaves, it can cause a reaction that creates sparks.

2. Is it safe to put a fork in a microwave?

No, it is not safe to put a fork in a microwave. As mentioned before, metal is a conductor of electricity and can cause sparks and potentially damage your microwave or even start a fire. It is always best to use microwave-safe utensils when heating food in the microwave.

3. What causes a fork to spark in a microwave?

A fork can spark in a microwave due to the metal prongs acting as antennas for the microwaves, which creates an electric current and causes sparks. The sparks are produced by the energy released from the microwave and the metal fork.

4. How can I prevent a fork from sparking in the microwave?

The best way to prevent a fork from sparking in the microwave is to avoid putting metal utensils, such as forks, inside. Additionally, make sure to use microwave-safe dishes and utensils when heating food in the microwave. If you accidentally put a fork in the microwave, immediately turn it off and remove the fork.

5. What should I do if a fork sparks in my microwave?

If a fork sparks in your microwave, immediately turn off the microwave and remove the fork. Allow the microwave to cool down before using it again. If the sparks caused any damage to the microwave, unplug it and have it inspected by a professional before using it again.