Material Property Effects On Magnetic Circuit

In summary, the individual is building a linear actuator with a cylindrical coil using the voice coil principle. The concern is the effect of the materials chosen for the shaft and shaft collars on overall force output. The proposed solution is to replace the shaft with 303 stainless steel and use nylon or aluminum shaft collars. The actuator will have a low frequency response due to the mass of iron components and inductance of the coil. This may make it difficult to accurately position the actuator.
carpekd
I'm building a linear actuator and I don't have much experience with magnetic circuits...

A rough sketch of what I'm building is attached. I'm trying to determine if the materials I'm using for the shaft and shaft collar will have a detrimental effect on overall force output. Right now, my shaft is made of 1566 steel and the shaft collars are zinc plated steel (don't know the material number, but it is magnetic). I've noticed that when the shaft, magnet, and shaft collars are assembled that the attractive force of the magnet is reduced vs. when the magnet is by itself. (I'm just putting a piece of metal close to it and felt the attractive force). I'm assuming that the shaft has a low magnetic reluctance and is directing a good bit of the flux through the shaft, but I'm not sure. I'm also assuming that this would reduce the performance of the actuator (overall force). My plan is to replace the shaft with a 303 stainless steel shaft and nylon or aluminum shaft collars. Would this be a sound plan? Could someone explain what is happening to the magnetic field in this application?

Thanks.

Attachments

• actuator.gif
    actuator.gif
    7.5 KB · Views: 516
Engineering news on Phys.org
I do not understand how the proposed linear actuator will work.
What is the orientation of the coils?

You need to draw in the lines of magnetic field that you require.
You must work out where to place the magnetic conductors = iron? to make the field follow that path.

If you want it to operate fast with AC signals you will need to use iron powder based magnetic conductors.
The permanent magnets may not work well at AC because of skin depth in their conductive coating.

The coil will be a cylindrical coil with back iron on the outside (not shown). The coil will be energized with dc current and will operate on the voice coil principle. A similar commercial product is described here: http://www.designworldonline.com/moving-magnet-voice-coil-actuators/#_

My concern is the detrimental effects on overall force production due to magnetic field interactions with the shaft/shaft collar materials...

The shaft should be non-magnetic or it will short circuit the permanent magnet path.
The collars on the shaft should be magnetic as they are part of the magnetic circuit.
There needs to be a magnetic outer shell to carry the external field from one end to the other.
That shell should include magnetic end plates that guide the shaft.
The cross section area of the shell and endplates should be similar to PM section area.

The shaft will exert an axial force determined by DC current.
If solid iron is used for the shell and end plates there will be a slow response to changes in coil current.

Attachments

• actuator2 .gif
    actuator2 .gif
    9 KB · Views: 481
A voice-coil has a moving coil in a permanent magnet field. The permanent magnet field can use thick iron components because the PM field does not need to change. The moving coil has a low mass and a high frequency response, maybe 10 kHz.

You are building a transducer that uses thick iron components about a solenoid coil with significant inductance. The mass of iron and the inductance of the coil will reduce the frequency response of the changes in field, probably to less than 1Hz.

Your armature has permanent magnets that have more mass than a voice-coil in an air-gap. But that does not really matter here since your stator field will be so stable.

Because the bandwidth of the control loop is so low, your actuator will be very hard to position accurately. It will need to be used in a way that applies a force, but does not move anything.

1. How do material properties affect the magnetic circuit?

The material properties of a material have a significant impact on the magnetic circuit. The magnetic permeability, resistivity, and remanence of a material can affect the strength and efficiency of the magnetic circuit. Different materials will have different properties, which can alter the magnetic field and affect the overall performance of the circuit.

2. What is the role of magnetic permeability in a magnetic circuit?

Magnetic permeability is a measure of a material's ability to support the formation of a magnetic field within itself. In a magnetic circuit, materials with high magnetic permeability can concentrate and direct the magnetic flux, while materials with low permeability will resist the flow of magnetic flux. This makes magnetic permeability a crucial factor in determining the strength and efficiency of a magnetic circuit.

3. How does resistivity affect the performance of a magnetic circuit?

Resistivity, also known as electrical resistivity, is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of an electrical current. In a magnetic circuit, materials with high resistivity can cause energy losses due to eddy currents, which can reduce the overall efficiency of the circuit. Therefore, it is essential to consider the resistivity of materials when designing a magnetic circuit.

4. What is the significance of remanence in a magnetic circuit?

Remanence, also known as residual magnetism, is the measure of a material's ability to retain magnetization after being exposed to an external magnetic field. In a magnetic circuit, materials with high remanence can help maintain a stable magnetic field, whereas materials with low remanence may experience fluctuations in magnetic flux. Therefore, the remanence of a material is an important consideration in the design of a magnetic circuit.

5. How can the properties of a material be optimized for a specific magnetic circuit?

The properties of a material can be optimized for a specific magnetic circuit by carefully selecting materials with the desired magnetic properties. For example, if high magnetic permeability is required, materials with high permeability, such as iron or nickel, can be used. On the other hand, if low resistivity is needed, materials with low resistivity, such as copper or aluminum, can be chosen. Additionally, the shape and size of the material can also be optimized to achieve the desired magnetic properties for a specific circuit.