Extended Bodies in QFT: String Theory & Phenomenology

• Thread starter Stingray
  • Start date
  • Tags
    bodies Qft
In summary: That's a good question. One reason might be that the theory is so complicated, and it's hard to see how it could work without all the extra dimensions. There might also be something special about the dimensions that the theory requires.
Stingray
Science Advisor
Is string theory the (more-or-less) only way of dealing with 'extended bodies' in a theory like QFT? Or does it only deal with very specific actions, or ones representing 'particles' with special dimensionalities (e.g 1+1 only)? If it is general, is all the commonly-stated phenomenology (11 dimensions etc.) always necessary?

Physics news on Phys.org
Stingray said:
Is string theory the (more-or-less) only way of dealing with 'extended bodies' in a theory like QFT? Or does it only deal with very specific actions, or ones representing 'particles' with special dimensionalities (e.g 1+1 only)? If it is general, is all the commonly-stated phenomenology (11 dimensions etc.) always necessary?

From your post, you seem to mean by Extended Bodie" extended elementary bodies. Regarding extended bodies made of elementary ones, such as protons, atoms, molecules, people, suns, etc., present theory contemplates them and string theory does no better (in fact, worse).

So extended elementary bodies. Strings are linear, but branes are of all dimensions up to the 10 or 11. There are even 0-dimensional branes in the theory. So in this sense stringy physics does extended bodies of general dimensionality.

Traditional physical theories of extended elementary particles didn't work. A number of physicists tried theories with little balls - I remember in particular Rudolph Peierls, who was important in the work leading up to the atom bomb, had one. The field theories always failed to close or predicted things that weren't so.

Thanks for the answer. I did mean elementary bodies, by the way.

selfAdjoint said:
So extended elementary bodies. Strings are linear, but branes are of all dimensions up to the 10 or 11. There are even 0-dimensional branes in the theory. So in this sense stringy physics does extended bodies of general dimensionality.

Are these objects restricted to having a particular type of action? I guess I'm asking more whether string theory provides a general framework for multidimensional extended (elementary) bodies, or whether it just studies some specific models. If the latter case is true, then is there any good argument (other than simplicity) why the chosen Lagrangian(s) should be correct?

Traditional physical theories of extended elementary particles didn't work. A number of physicists tried theories with little balls - I remember in particular Rudolph Peierls, who was important in the work leading up to the atom bomb, had one. The field theories always failed to close or predicted things that weren't so.

Thanks. A quick search doesn't come up with much, though. Peierls has done too many things!

Anyway, these questions were motivated by looking at some of Dirac's old papers (mainly from the 60's). I don't know enough to say whether string theory solves the problems that he was stressing, or whether his ideas have since been considered misguided.

Stingray said:
Are these objects restricted to having a particular type of action? I guess I'm asking more whether string theory provides a general framework for multidimensional extended (elementary) bodies, or whether it just studies some specific models. If the latter case is true, then is there any good argument (other than simplicity) why the chosen Lagrangian(s) should be correct?

Good question, Stingray.

I don't know about branes, but strings are based on the Nambu-Goto action. This states that the action on a string worldsheet (two dimensional surface analog of particle world line) is proportional to the element of area of the worldsheet. This is analogous to the action for a relativistic particle, and Nambu-Goto is Lorentz invariant too. It also turns out to be Conformally invariant, and to possesses Weyl symmetry as well. This free symmetry is part of the elegance string physicists perceive in their theory.

String physicists have never tried to do all possible theories, they are motivated to find the one correct theory. Their problem is that all possible theories, or a heck of a lot of them anyway, have fallen out of their models, and they can't tell which one is correct.

1. What is the basic concept of Extended Bodies in QFT?

Extended Bodies in Quantum Field Theory (QFT) refers to the idea that elementary particles are not point-like objects, but rather have a finite size and structure. This concept is important in understanding the behavior of particles at high energies and in the study of string theory.

2. How does String Theory incorporate the concept of Extended Bodies?

String Theory is a theoretical framework that describes particles as one-dimensional strings rather than point-like objects. These strings have a finite size and structure, which allows for the resolution of certain mathematical issues in QFT. In this theory, the fundamental building blocks of matter are extended objects rather than point particles.

3. What is the role of Phenomenology in studying Extended Bodies in QFT?

Phenomenology is the branch of physics that focuses on the experimental and observational aspects of theoretical models. In the context of Extended Bodies in QFT, phenomenology plays a crucial role in testing and verifying the predictions of string theory and other theoretical frameworks that incorporate the concept of extended particles.

4. How do Extended Bodies affect our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature?

The concept of Extended Bodies in QFT has profound implications for our understanding of the fundamental forces of nature. These extended objects, such as strings, can interact with each other in ways that are not possible for point particles. This allows for a more complete and unified description of the fundamental forces, including gravity, which is not easily incorporated into traditional QFT.

5. What experiments have been conducted to test the concept of Extended Bodies in QFT?

There have been numerous experiments and observations that have provided evidence for the existence of Extended Bodies in QFT. For example, studies of high-energy particle collisions at the Large Hadron Collider have revealed evidence of string-like behavior. Additionally, astronomical observations of cosmic rays and black holes have also provided support for the concept of extended particles.