Register to reply

A level subjects

by discombobulated
Tags: subjects
Share this thread:
discombobulated
Oct11-05, 04:56 PM
P: 41
Ok, I've just started doing my a levels this year and i wanted to do Maths, Physics Chemistry and design tech and french. but the sixth form i chose only lets you do 4 subjects in blocks, so i did chem, physics, maths and art, because chem and french are in the same block so i couldn't choose both. So i decided to drop chem for french.
However, i really like chem too and am thinking about trying to swap back. i'm also changing art to biology, (because for art i need to travel further) so chem would be more relevant.
The problem is that i can't decide what i should do; french or chemistry?
Any advice??? I know that i want to do automotive engineering at uni!
Phys.Org News Partner Science news on Phys.org
NASA team lays plans to observe new worlds
IHEP in China has ambitions for Higgs factory
Spinach could lead to alternative energy more powerful than Popeye
jcsd
Oct11-05, 05:35 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 2,226
The new AS/A2 system confuses me greatly (I did my A-levels 7 years ago, I did Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths)

You really only want to do the equiavlent of 4 A levels in your two years, only the brighter pupils can cope with doing 4, doing 5 is virtually unheard of.

From what I have gathered you have choosen the 4 hardest A levels (chemistry, physics, maths and biology in that order!). Perosnally I thought the chemistry A level should of been worth 3 media sudies a level for the compartive amoutnt of time, effort and brain cells needed to get a good grade and sure that universties.

I'd imagine to do any engineering subject you'd need maths and probably physics too, with other science and maths subjects possibly being considered more valuable than other A levels.

My adivse would be to see your form tutor or the head of the sixth form.
Mulder
Oct11-05, 06:52 PM
P: 115
I agree with jcsd. How about going for Further Maths if it's an option, With Maths, Physics and Design Tech., say. Maybe it feels like narrowing your field of knowledge, but in the long term (university application and onwards) this would probably improve your prospects, rather than trying to take too much on. I don't think the larger and wider subject range looks particularly better to universities, just IMO.

Register to reply