A Level Subjects - Should I Choose French or Chemistry?

• Thread starter discombobulated
  • Start date
  • Tags
    A level
In summary, the conversation is about a student who is struggling to choose between French and Chemistry as their fourth A-level subject. They had originally chosen Chemistry, but dropped it for French due to scheduling conflicts. However, they are now considering swapping back to Chemistry and changing their fourth subject to Biology. The student is seeking advice on which subject would be more beneficial for their future plans in automotive engineering.
discombobulated
Ok, I've just started doing my a levels this year and i wanted to do Maths, Physics Chemistry and design tech and french. but the sixth form i chose only let's you do 4 subjects in blocks, so i did chem, physics, maths and art, because chem and french are in the same block so i couldn't choose both. So i decided to drop chem for french.
However, i really like chem too and am thinking about trying to swap back. I'm also changing art to biology, (because for art i need to travel further) so chem would be more relevant.
The problem is that i can't decide what i should do; french or chemistry?
Any advice? I know that i want to do automotive engineering at uni!

Physics news on Phys.org
The new AS/A2 system confuses me greatly (I did my A-levels 7 years ago, I did Chemistry, Physics, Maths and Further Maths)

You really only want to do the equiavlent of 4 A levels in your two years, only the brighter pupils can cope with doing 4, doing 5 is virtually unheard of.

From what I have gathered you have choosen the 4 hardest A levels (chemistry, physics, maths and biology in that order!). Perosnally I thought the chemistry A level should of been worth 3 media sudies a level for the compartive amoutnt of time, effort and brain cells needed to get a good grade and sure that universties.

I'd imagine to do any engineering subject you'd need maths and probably physics too, with other science and maths subjects possibly being considered more valuable than other A levels.

My adivse would be to see your form tutor or the head of the sixth form.

Last edited:
I agree with jcsd. How about going for Further Maths if it's an option, With Maths, Physics and Design Tech., say. Maybe it feels like narrowing your field of knowledge, but in the long term (university application and onwards) this would probably improve your prospects, rather than trying to take too much on. I don't think the larger and wider subject range looks particularly better to universities, just IMO.

What are the differences between studying French and Chemistry at A Level?

French and Chemistry are two very different subjects with distinct approaches and requirements. French is a language subject that focuses on developing your reading, writing, listening, and speaking skills in French, as well as learning about French culture and society. Chemistry, on the other hand, is a science subject that involves studying the composition, properties, and reactions of substances. It also involves a lot of practical work and mathematical calculations.

Which subject is more useful for my future career?

Both French and Chemistry can be useful for different career paths. If you are interested in a career in science, medicine, or engineering, then Chemistry would be a more relevant subject. However, if you are considering a career in international relations, business, or tourism, then French could be more beneficial. It is important to research your potential career options and choose the subject that aligns with your goals.

Which subject is more challenging?

This is subjective and depends on your strengths and interests. Both French and Chemistry require a lot of dedication and hard work to excel in. French may be more challenging for those who struggle with learning languages, while Chemistry may be more difficult for those who struggle with math and science concepts. It is important to choose the subject that you are most passionate about and willing to put in the effort to do well.

How will studying French or Chemistry at A Level benefit me?

Studying any subject at A Level can have many benefits, including improving your critical thinking, problem-solving, and time management skills. Additionally, studying French can enhance your communication and cultural understanding, while Chemistry can develop your analytical and laboratory skills. These skills are valuable in any career or further education pursuits.

Can I study both French and Chemistry at A Level?

This depends on your school's curriculum and your own abilities and workload. It is possible to take both subjects, but it may require a lot of time and effort as they are both demanding subjects. Some schools also require students to have a certain level of proficiency in a language before taking it at A Level. It is best to consult with your school and teachers to determine if studying both subjects is a feasible option for you.