What Are the Different Coordinate Systems Used in Calculus?

In summary, the first conversation involves rewriting an expression in polar coordinates and taking the second derivative of z with respect to x and y. The surface z = rcos3(phi) is described in cylindrical coordinates and expressed in Cartesian coordinates. The second conversation involves solving for p, phi, and theta in terms of x, y, and z near points in R^3 and describing the geometry behind the solution. The speaker is weak in coordinate systems and asks for help understanding the generic method.
JasonJo
1) Rewrite the following expression in polar coordinates:
(second derivative of z with respect to x) + (second derivative of z with respect to y)

where x=rcos(theta)
y = rsin(theta)

i had first derivative of z with respect to x = (dz/dx)(dx/dr) + (dz/dx)(dx/d(theta))

same concept for y

and then i just took the derivative of my dz/dz and dz/dy variables again

2) describe this surface in cylindrical coordinates
z = rcos3(phi)

express in cartesian coordinates

i really do not get cartesian coordinates

can anyone show me the generic method?

3) x = psin(phi)cos(theta)
y = psin(phi)sin(theta)
z = pcos(phi)

near which points of R^3 can we solve for: p phi and theta in terms of x, y and z, describe the geometry behind your answer.

again, i am really really weak in coordinate systems.

any help is appreciated, thanks guys

Physics news on Phys.org
what does z = in #1

x = p sin phi cos theta

y =p sin phi sin theta

z = p cos phi

What is Calculus 3?

Calculus 3, also known as Multivariable Calculus, is the third course in the sequence of Calculus courses. It extends the concepts of Calculus 1 and 2 to multiple variables and introduces new topics such as partial derivatives, multiple integrals, and vector calculus.

What are "coordinate questions" in Calc 3?

"Coordinate questions" in Calc 3 refer to problems that involve plotting, analyzing, and manipulating functions in multiple dimensions. These questions often require the use of 3D or higher-dimensional coordinate systems and may involve concepts such as vectors, parametric equations, and surfaces.

How do I find the partial derivative of a function in Calc 3?

To find the partial derivative of a function in Calc 3, you need to treat all other variables as constants and differentiate the function with respect to the variable of interest. For example, to find the partial derivative of f(x,y) with respect to x, treat y as a constant and differentiate f(x,y) with respect to x using the rules of single-variable calculus.

What is the difference between a gradient and a derivative in Calc 3?

In Calc 3, a gradient is a vector that points in the direction of the steepest increase of a function at a given point. On the other hand, a derivative is a number that represents the instantaneous rate of change of a function at a given point. While both concepts involve taking partial derivatives, the gradient also considers the direction of change, whereas the derivative only considers the magnitude of change.

How can I visualize functions in multiple dimensions in Calc 3?

In Calc 3, you can use various tools to visualize functions in multiple dimensions, such as 3D and higher-dimensional coordinate systems, contour plots, and vector fields. You can also use graphing software or online plotting tools to create visual representations of functions in multiple dimensions.