What Is the Fuel That Stars Run Out of Before Becoming Black Holes?

In summary, a star's core runs out of hydrogen and it collapses until helium fusion begins. Once the process reaches iron, it stalls and requires the energy input of a supernova.
Niode
I'm quite new to the world of physics/cosmology and their neighboring subjects. I've just begun learning about black holes, and so far, I've understood everything I've come across except for one term: Fuel.

I've read several articles that pertain to black holes. In each of these articles, a certain "fuel" is mentioned. To quote one of these articles: "- when a sufficiently massive star runs out of fuel, it is unable to support itself against its own gravitational pull, and it should collapse into a black hole."

The lack of explanation leaves me flummoxed. What is this "feul" the star runs out of? Any information regarding the above would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nuclear reactions in a star's core convert hydrogen into helium and into heavier elements. Once it runs out of hydrogen the nuclear reactions stop and the outward force traditionally produced by this process vanishes and the star is unable to hold its own against its own gravity and collapses. So i'd say hydrogen.

Last edited:
-Job- said:
Nuclear reactions in a star's core convert hydrogen into helium and into heavier elements. Once it runs out of hydrogen the nuclear reactions stop and the outward force traditionally produced by this process vanishes and the star is unable to hold its own against its own gravity and collapses. So i'd say hydrogen.
That's just for starters. Once the core runs out of hydrogen it then collapses until temperatures and pressures increase by about an order of magnitude when helium fusion begins. This is the stage when a Main Sequence star becomes a Red Giant. Helium then fuses into beryllium etc. A large Red Giant has a core like an onion with each shell fusing a 'heavier' element than the one outside it. The process is basically adding alpha particles i.e. helium nucleii, so the even atomic number elements are made more readily. The odd atomic numbers have to be created by other processes and their relative abundance is observed around us to be an OOM less than their even 'neighbours'.

When the process reaches iron it stalls as any further nucleosynthesis is endothermic rather than exothermic. It requires the energy input of a super nova. This is fortuituously (?) provided by the iron core that under goes the 'Iron Catastrophe' and reverts back into alpha particles. This is when it has finally run out of fuel and collapses into a neutron star or if the core mass is great enough, ~ 3 Msolar, a black hole.

Niode your 'fuel' is iron!

Garth

There is a good scematic of the elements in the "onion" at http://www-astronomy.mps.ohio-state.edu/~pogge/Ast162/Unit3/supernova.html" .

Last edited by a moderator:
That's pretty interesting, i think i understand the whole process now. Very cool.

Wow... thanks, guys! :biggrin:

1. What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region of space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. It is created when a massive star collapses in on itself, causing its density and gravity to become infinitely large.

2. How big can a black hole get?

The size of a black hole depends on its mass. The more mass it has, the larger it can become. Supermassive black holes, found at the center of most galaxies, can have a mass equivalent to billions of suns. However, the event horizon, or point of no return, is always proportional to the mass of the black hole.

3. Can anything survive entering a black hole?

No, nothing can survive entering a black hole. The intense gravitational forces would stretch and tear apart any object, including atoms, as it gets closer to the singularity at the center of the black hole.

4. Do black holes suck everything in?

Contrary to popular belief, black holes do not suck everything in. They have a strong gravitational pull, but their influence is limited to a certain distance. Anything outside of this distance, such as planets or stars, would orbit the black hole just like any other massive object.

5. Are black holes dangerous to Earth?

No, black holes are not dangerous to Earth. The closest known black hole, V616 Monocerotis, is still 3,000 light years away and poses no threat to our planet. Additionally, the gravitational pull of a black hole decreases significantly with distance, making it unlikely for Earth to be affected by a black hole in the future.