Solving Lagrange Multiplier Question: Find Nearest Point to Origin

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the point on the surface z = xy + 1 nearest to the origin using the Lagrange multiplier method. The constraint equation is given as g(x,y,z) = z-xy=1 and the distance formula is used to set up the constraint. The values for x2, y2, and z2 are (0,0,1) and the point closest to the origin is (0,0,1).
elle
Hi, I would appreciate if anyone can help me out with the following question.

I've been asked to find the point on the surface z = xy + 1 nearest to the origin by using the Lagrange Multiplier method. But all the examples I've been given in class and for coursework gave you the constraint equation.

Is there a constraint equation given in this question? :confused:

Physics news on Phys.org
Well it's not given in the sense of, constraint equation = ?
But you should be able to set one up as long as you know the distance formula.
[tex] d = \sqrt{(z_2-z_1)^2+(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2} [/tex]
x, and y are going to be arbitrary and you have the expression for z. You also know that you are aiming for the orgin, so [tex] \vec 0 = (x_1,y_1,z_1) [/tex].

Actually 'shoot'.. that doesn't make any sense

Your constraint would be that 'the point MUST be on that surface' (that sounds more like a constraint to me).

So:
[tex] g(x,y,z) = z-xy=1 [/tex]
[tex] f(x,y,z) = d=\sqrt{(x_2-x_1)^2+(y_2-y_1)^2+(z_2-z_1)^2} [/tex]
Where [tex](x_1,y_1,z_1)=\vec 0 [/tex]

Ok, I think that makes sense now...

Hmm sorry I'm still lost :(

Last edited:
sorry I'm not sure how to use Latex, but what are the values for x2, y2 and z2? :confused: O god, I don't understand this at all :uhh:

The constraint is z = xy + 1! If you were asked simply to "find the point closest to the origin" then the answer would be (0,0) itself. But you are not asked that- you are asked to fine the point on z= xy closest to the origin.
Using the Lagrange multiplier method: The square of the distance of a point (x,y) to (0,0) (minimizing the square of distance is the same as minimizing distance itself) is minimizing x2+ y2. The gradient of that is 2xi+ 2yj. The gradient of the constraint, z- xy= 1, is -yi- xj+ k. Lagrange's method says that one of those must be a multiple of the other:
2xi+ 2yj= k(-yi- xj+ k) which tells us 2x= -ky, 2y= -kx, and 0= k. What x,y,z satisfy those?

hmm ok...I got x = 0, y = 0 and z = 1...is that right? :confused: so the point is ( 0 , 0 , 1 )

1. How do I find the nearest point to the origin using Lagrange multipliers?

To find the nearest point to the origin using Lagrange multipliers, you need to set up the problem as a constrained optimization problem. This involves finding the objective function (distance from the origin) and the constraint function (equation of the surface or curve). Then, you can use the Lagrange multiplier method to find the optimal solution.

2. What is the purpose of using Lagrange multipliers in this problem?

The purpose of using Lagrange multipliers in this problem is to find the closest point to the origin on a given surface or curve. This method allows us to incorporate constraints into the optimization problem and find an optimal solution that satisfies these constraints.

3. Can Lagrange multipliers be used to find the nearest point to the origin in any dimension?

Yes, Lagrange multipliers can be used to find the nearest point to the origin in any dimension. The method remains the same, but the number of variables and constraints will vary depending on the dimension of the problem.

4. Is there an alternative method to find the nearest point to the origin without using Lagrange multipliers?

Yes, there are other methods that can be used to find the nearest point to the origin, such as using the gradient descent method or geometric interpretations. However, the Lagrange multiplier method is often preferred as it is a more general and systematic approach.

5. What are some real-world applications of solving Lagrange multiplier problems?

Lagrange multipliers have various applications in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering. In physics, they can be used to optimize systems with constraints, such as finding the optimal path for a particle moving under the influence of multiple forces. In economics, they can be used to maximize profits subject to resource constraints. In engineering, they can be used to optimize designs subject to various constraints.