Confirmation on Linear Algebra Question

In summary, the two points that trisect the segment between P(2,3,5) and Q(8,-6,2) are X(4,0,4) and Y(6,-2,-3). There was a small arithmetic error in the y and z components of the second point, but overall the method used was correct.
vg19
Hi, Id just like to make sure that I did this question correctly. Find the two points trisecting the segment between P(2,3,5) and Q(8,-6,2).

I drew a simple diagram and put two points inbetween P and Q, named X and Y. I then saw X was 1/3 from P and Y was 2/3 from P.

So I found vector PQ = (6,-9,-3) and said
X = (2,3,5) + 1/3(6,-9,-3)
= (4,0,4)

Y = (2,3,5) + 2/3(6,-9,-3)
= (6,-2,-3)

Are these the two points?

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have an arithmetic error in the y term of your second point.

Carl

And also in the z component.

Your method is correct.

Related to Confirmation on Linear Algebra Question

What is Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with linear equations, vectors, matrices, and their operations. It is used to solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, computer science, and economics.

What is the difference between a vector and a matrix?

A vector is a one-dimensional array that contains numbers, while a matrix is a two-dimensional array that contains numbers. Vectors are used to represent quantities with magnitude and direction, while matrices are used to represent linear transformations and systems of linear equations.

What are the applications of Linear Algebra?

Linear Algebra has various applications in different fields such as computer graphics, data analysis, machine learning, and cryptography. It is also used in engineering for solving systems of linear equations and in physics for representing physical quantities and their relationships.

What are the basic operations in Linear Algebra?

The basic operations in Linear Algebra include addition, subtraction, and scalar multiplication of vectors and matrices. Other operations include matrix multiplication, finding the inverse of a matrix, and solving systems of linear equations.

How can I improve my understanding of Linear Algebra?

To improve your understanding of Linear Algebra, you can practice solving problems, watch online tutorials, and read textbooks or other resources. It is also beneficial to work on real-world applications of Linear Algebra to gain a deeper understanding of its concepts.