(0.04)c(33.7-23.5)+(0.08)c(33.7-39.6) Find C

In summary, the conversation discusses a homework problem involving finding the specific heat capacity of saltwater using known values of mass and initial temperatures. The student tried various equations but was unable to find the answer without a reference point or known heat capacity. It was determined that without this information, the problem is impossible to solve. The student also mentions a teacher who sometimes gives impossible problems as a test of understanding.
Andrei316
Sorry if the title is against the rules or anything, I just wanted to be specific as possible :P
1. Homework Statement

V1(Saltwater) = 40g = 0.04kg
V2(Hot-Saltwater) = 80g = 0.08kg
Ti(Saltwater) = 23.5oc
Ti(Hot-Saltwater) = 39.6oc
Tf = 33.7c

Question: A cup of 40g saltwater is at 23.5c & A cup of 80g saltwater is at 39.6c, Find the specific heat capacity of salt water. **I measured these myself because it was a mini-lab so the specific heat capacity might not be exactly 3.99x103J.

2. Homework Equations

I asked my grade 11 physics teacher and this could be solved by using QLOST + QGAINED and Q=mcΔT. I asked my friends and they couldn't figure it out too ;-;

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried using everything and did anything I could do ...but I still couldn't get the answer of 3.99x103J. I can easily figure it out if I was it was 2 different substances and at least one heat capacity, but finding only c because they are both salt water confuses me.
m1cΔT1 + m1cΔT1
(0.04)c(33.7-23.5)+(0.08)c(33.7-39.6)

Physics news on Phys.org
Without a reference (known input heat or something with a known heat capactiance), the whole approach cannot work. You are comparing salt water with salt water.

mfb said:
Without a reference (known input heat or something with a known heat capactiance), the whole approach cannot work. You are comparing salt water with salt water.
Oh alright, yeah I just wanted to make sure it wasn't possible. My teacher does this thing when he tricks us to check if we actually do our work... it's really annoying but he does teach us why it's impossible and stuff like that. Thanks for your help and time :)

You can check the numbers for consistency: Check if the mixing temperature is right.

1. What is the formula for solving "(0.04)c(33.7-23.5)+(0.08)c(33.7-39.6)?

The formula for solving this equation is (0.04)c(33.7-23.5)+(0.08)c(33.7-39.6).

2. What do the variables in this equation represent?

The variable "c" represents an unknown number, while the numbers in parentheses represent constants.

3. What is the purpose of finding "C" in this equation?

The purpose of finding "C" in this equation is to solve for the unknown number and find its value.

4. How do you solve this equation?

To solve this equation, you would use the order of operations (PEMDAS) to simplify the equation and isolate the variable "c".

5. Can this equation be solved without using a calculator?

Yes, this equation can be solved without a calculator by using mental math or paper and pencil calculations.