#1 song on the day you were born

• Thread starter hypatia
  • Start date
In summary: I don't remember the color, but it was a light blue light and there was a large bubble in the middle of the light. It felt really good. And then I woke up.In summary, Evo was born when "Come Softly to Me" by the Sevilles was #1, but that's just because she claims all kinds of 1960's experiences. She was already seasoned by the time she entered kindergarten, but had no way to be certain this all was around age 3, but she had always said 3. Evo was born when "Come Softly to Me" by the Sevilles was #1, but that's just because she claims all kinds of 1960's experiences. She was already seasoned by the time
I can hardly believe that so many individuals on this board who consider themselves intelligent are so naïve as to divulge their BIRTHDATE to some unknown website. For all you know, it could simply be a front for Identity Thieves! After all, they HAVE managed to get YOU to submit YOUR BIRTHDATE, and while connected to their website, they may have also gotten your IP.

Additionally, anyone who views THIS thread could potentially derive YOUR birthdate simply by the #1 song that YOU revealed per your birthday! If you give identity thieves your birthday and IP, it’s almost like handing them a credit card.

Of course, there's always a chance that website is harmless, but how can YOU be sure? Reality: You don’t typically get anything for free in this world. Since they don’t charge for their service, who typically wants to pay the cost to keep a server up and running unless it’s making them some $$$.$$?

Advice: It’s best not to give out your birthdate and it pays to use a fictitious birthdate when you sign up on public message boards as well. Naturally, you can do as you desire, but you'd NEVER catch me giving out vital information such as my birthdate, e-mail, SSN, etc…

Physics news on Phys.org
Gnosis said:
I can hardly believe that so many individuals on this board who consider themselves intelligent

Speaking about intelligence...

After all, they HAVE managed to get YOU to submit YOUR BIRTHDATE

..you don't have to submit your birthdate to check what was played.

Have you actually visited the site, or do you know it is wrong, wrong, wrong beforehand?

Moonbear said:
This thread is making me feel really old. I know most of the membership here is considerably younger than I am, but seeing you all born with songs at the top of the charts that I remember coming out while I was in high school is really rubbing it in!

Ha ha, if it makes you feel any better I was in middle school when Maggie May came out.

Redbelly98 said:
Ha ha, if it makes you feel any better I was in middle school when Maggie May came out.
I was in college.

Gnosis said:
I can hardly believe that so many individuals on this board who consider themselves intelligent are so naïve as to divulge their BIRTHDATE to some unknown website. For all you know, it could simply be a front for Identity Thieves! After all, they HAVE managed to get YOU to submit YOUR BIRTHDATE, and while connected to their website, they may have also gotten your IP.
I thought that they could only get your ISP's IP, not your own. However, I'm not sure. Last night I came home expecting a surprise birthday party, but to my surprise there was none. When I asked my wife about it she said it wasn't my birthday. I said it was, it always has been. When she insisted, I pulled out my birth certificate and sure enough, the date had been stolen. I was frantic as I need this birthday to count towards my receiving a social security check when I retire. I started looking around the net to see if I could catch these birthday thieves. Luckily I traced it to that Nigerian princess that sent me $20 million last year. It cost me most of that money to track her down, but I succeeded. It turns out she had stolen thousands of birthdays, including many of those hard to get Feb. 29 ones. She was so fat from eating all that cake that she couldn't get away from the police. I got my birthday back, but I will certainly be more careful in the future.

:rofl:

Redbelly98 said:
Moonbear said:
This thread is making me feel really old. I know most of the membership here is considerably younger than I am, but seeing you all born with songs at the top of the charts that I remember coming out while I was in high school is really rubbing it in!

when this song came out, I remember working on intermediate algebra problems while my white mice were running in wheels in their cages.

lisab said:
"Sugar Shack" by Jimmy Gilmer & the Fireballs.
I won't ask if you remember the day President Kennedy was shot. But I am guessing you saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan. :smile:

Evo said:
Did you have a microscope and telescope? I find this is quite common among PF members when they were little.

I had a small light microscope with three obj. lenses (including oil immersion). One fun use was to view the world of small organisms in a drop of pond water. I wanted a telescope, but couldn't afford one. I did get to know friends who let me look through their telescopes. I found the moons of Jupiter quite fascinating :bugeye:

Last edited:
Ouabache said:
I won't ask if you remember the day President Kennedy was shot. But I am guessing you saw The Beatles on Ed Sullivan.

Yes to both. I sulked all night about the Kennedy thing because they pre-empted 'Popeye' for news coverage of it. :rolleyes:

Borek said:
Speaking about intelligence...

..you don't have to submit your birthdate to check what was played.

Have you actually visited the site, or do you know it is wrong, wrong, wrong beforehand?

Where birthdates are a key factor, I simply resist the temptation to visit such a website. I actually practice what I preach, but of course, you're free to divulge any personal information about yourself as you desire.

However, YOU missed a key point that I previously made in thinking yourself so clever.

I also previously stated that YOU are openingly revealing your BIRTHDATE per this completely public physics forum per this thread by replying in this thread with the #1 song that coincides with YOUR birthdate! If anyone can simply go to that website and visually locate the #1 song per a birthdate, then it is a simple matter to link YOUR birthdate by the #1 song that you've openly provided here on this public forum.

I don't think the charts were updated daily anyway. Even if they were, number ones can often last several weeks.

jimmysnyder said:
I thought that they could only get your ISP's IP, not your own. However, I'm not sure.

That's correct. The ISP gateways NAT (Network Address Translation) the actual address. Also, mostly the IP addresses would be dynamically allocated (eventhough, practically they never change it).

Danger said:
Yes to both. I sulked all night ... they pre-empted 'Popeye' for news coverage of it. :rolleyes:
:rofl:

Kurdt said:
I don't think the charts were updated daily anyway. Even if they were, number ones can often last several weeks.

Naturally, songs will typically remain #1 for various lengths however, history has also typically recorded the day that they were declared #1, in which case, THAT'S the day that would be used for the website, not the span of time in which it remained #1.

The ingenuity of identity thieves should never be underestimated. Some are top notch in digging and retrieving personal data and they have all the time in the world to burrow.

For instance, by doing a simple web search, identity thieves can easily find posts on public forums such as this physics forum, where the joshhosler web link was posted and/or used. Since most of you have openly revealed the #1 song per YOUR BIRTHDATE here on THIS physics forum, they can easily link your user name with your birthdate and continue to burrow for additional data.

I’ve done a bit of homework here. I performed a search and found the link that would steer identity thieves right back to this thread.

The following link is the result of that search for the joshhosler web link…

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=http://www.joshhosler.biz/&start=90&sa=N

Then, from the above search results page, the link below steers them right back to this forum where they begin to link user names with the birthdates via the #1 song that YOU people openly stated was #1 on YOUR birthdate. So you see, you NEVER have to provide ANY info directly at the joshhosler website…

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=2121786

As I stated previously, that website just may be harmless, but I would never simply assume such. I am only trying to spare the wise any potential "identity thief" grief. Naturally, those who think themselves so damn clever and invulnerable will pay this no mind. So be it, as it's no skin off my nose if they incur such an issue.

jobyts said:
That's correct. The ISP gateways NAT (Network Address Translation) the actual address. Also, mostly the IP addresses would be dynamically allocated (eventhough, practically they never change it).

My current ISP changes my IP every 24 hours.

Gnosis said:
Naturally, songs will typically remain #1 for various lengths however, history has also typically recorded the day that they were declared #1, in which case, THAT'S the day that would be used for the website, not the span of time in which it remained #1.

No, they are posted for the span that they are number 1. I have checked. You couldn't pinpoint my birthday to within a month on that website for example. I think most people on this site are well aware of the danger of online identity theft.

Gnosis said:
Naturally, songs will typically remain #1 for various lengths however, history has also typically recorded the day that they were declared #1, in which case, THAT'S the day that would be used for the website, not the span of time in which it ////
As I ...

potential "identity thief" grief. Naturally, those who think themselves so damn clever and invulnerable will pay this no mind. So be it, as it's no skin off my nose if they incur such an issue.

Do you know that your computer can also be hacked and all your computer activities can be traced by hacker? Then do you:
1) do online shopping
2) share personal information with known friends
3) use email for official or personal purposes
4) do online banking
5) fill government online forms
?

Gnosis said:
You are simply wrong on this point.

The ditty that the site says was #1 on my birthday, "The Third Man" theme, it also says was #1 each day from April 23 until July 8, a period of more than 20% of a year.

By the way, the site does not say anything at all about birthdays. It just says "Look up the Number One Song on Any Date in History". Birthdays come to mind, but also wedding day, first date, first kiss, you name it. If the site was set up for the purpose of stealing identities, I doubt it has met with enough success to justify the time and expense of creating it.

As someone selling software on the web I am obliged by Polish law to publish my address and tax identity number on my site. To allow people pay for my programs I have to give them my bussiness bank account number.

I was born on 29.12.1962.

Do you really think I just got more vulnerable? :rofl:

Borek said:
As someone selling software on the web I am obliged by Polish law to publish my address and tax identity number on my site. To allow people pay for my programs I have to give them my bussiness bank account number.

Yes, and anyone who studies this sort of thing would say so. Identity theft is a huge problem in the US. It is said that someone's identity is stolen something like every fifteen seconds.

One should never give out specific identity information on the internet.

The FBI, Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and Earthlink have jointly issued a warning on how the growing ranks of Internet crooks are using new tricks called "phishing" and "spoofing" to steal your identity.

In an FBI press release, Assistant Director of the agency's Cyber Division, Jana Monroe says, "Bogus e-mails that try to trick customers into giving out personal information are the hottest, and most troubling, new scam on the Internet...
http://usgovinfo.about.com/cs/consumer/a/aaspoofing.htm

Borek said:

Um, you're wearing a green wig on your head.

Ivan Seeking said:
Yes, and anyone who studies this sort of thing would say so.

I think you have missed the part about being obliged by law to share really important information.

I am not necesarilly happy because of that, but I have no choice. I have to share a lot, giving away my birthday doesn't change my situation much.

Luckily in most places here you will not be able to do anything not having my ID, or at least ID number. Now that's a piece of plastic and number that I won't share.

You were obliged to give your birthday?

I have often been amazed at how little information is required for me to get a loan or credit card. I can make a phone call, provide a few pieces of information like BD and SS#, and get practically any amount of money required.

Let's put aside some of the silliness. Your medical records (and they may reside in multiple places) contain your name, your birth-date, and usually your SS#, along with a Kindergarten-level security feature like "what was your mother's maiden name?" If you have other public records related to the SSA, unemployment insurance, etc, this stuff is out there in spades. Does anybody here believe that ID theft is such a huge problem with these poorly-guarded secrets?

jimmysnyder nailed it. The Nigerian princess was so fat from eating her her stolen birthday cakes that she could not run away from the cops.

Given my situation, I'd gladly trade identities with anyone who wants mine. (As long as my PF account gets transferred to the new one. :wink:)

rootX said:
Do you know that your computer can also be hacked and all your computer activities can be traced by hacker? Then do you:
1) do online shopping
2) share personal information with known friends
3) use email for official or personal purposes
4) do online banking
5) fill government online forms
?

I do not perform any of the above functions from a PC or PDA and I have virtually no need for e-mail.

Gnosis said:
I have virtually no need for e-mail.

No friends, huh? :tongue:

Danger said:
No friends, huh? :tongue:
I can't respond to your humor because it would put me at risk for full-on cyber-assault. I cautiously agree, however, though I am resigned to standing over here poking your post with a 10-foot pole. (poke, poke)

turbo-1 said:
I am resigned to standing over here poking your post with a 10-foot pole. (poke, poke)

You exaggerate, sir. That is not a 10-foot pole. I admit, however, that it's still pretty impressive for a man of your advanced years.

Danger said:
You exaggerate, sir. That is not a 10-foot pole. I admit, however, that it's still pretty impressive for a man of your advanced years.
You didn't know I was Polish, did you? :biggrin:

turbo-1 said:
You didn't know I was Polish, did you? :biggrin:

You can't be, you don't know how to make pickled cucumbers and you don't pick mushrooms.

I think someone needs a tin-foil hat. Aside from the fact that plenty of people know my birthday...makes it hard for them to know which day to have the cake and how many candles to put on it if they don't...posting a #1 song isn't going to pinpoint a specific date. At most, you might narrow things down to a week if a song only stayed #1 for a week...that's about as frequently as anything gets updated. Considering I checked out several other people's birthdays at the same time, and some other dates of interest to me, as well as a year before and after my actual birthdate, I don't think anything I clicked around on that site could have pinpointed anything more than that I was clicking around various dates.

I'm not scared by your maniacal claims...

"Maniac" by Michael Sembello :tongue2:

jimmysnyder said:
"'The Third Man' Theme" by Anton Karas.

Whoa! Jimmy are you really within a month of being the same age I am?

Last edited: