10,000 black holes near Sagittarius A ?

In summary: It's a really interesting topic and the PBS Spacetime video made it much easier to understand. In summary, a study using the Chandra X-ray Telescope has identified 13 binary pairs of black holes orbiting stars near the galactic center, leading to an extrapolation of around 10,000 black holes in the same area. However, the definition of "galactic center" and the level of rigor in the study may affect the accuracy of this estimate. Further research is needed to fully understand the presence and distribution of black holes near Sagittarius A.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Interesting sidebar in The Week (April 27, 2008, page 20) referencing a BBC.com news items (yeah, I know this is pretty indirect) that says a dozen binary pairs of black hole with orbiting stars have been identified near Sagittarius A by the Chandra X-ray Telescope. They go on to say
Because binary systems account for only a small proportion of black holes overall, they calculated that 10,000 other black holes must be lurking in the same area
and that the galactic center is a hothouse for black hole formation.

I can't find the BBC.com article so I have no further reference but I wonder if anyone here knows anything further about this?

Oh, and I should add that the binary pairs are stated as being "within a few light years of Sagittarius A", so not exactly right next door.

Space news on Phys.org
It doesn't sound unreasonable to me. The real problem is defining precisely what is meant by "galactic center". It would be pretty easy to come up with a definition that includes many millions of stars, perhaps even a billion. And as it would be reasonable to assume that the most massive stars would be more likely to form near the galactic center, it is likely to be rather richer in black holes than most of the galaxy.

In sum, the statement that there are 10,000 black holes near the galactic center is meaningless without understanding what is meant. And as it sounds like the estimate came not from a scientific paper, but from a back-of-the-envelope calculation, it's going to be difficult to track down precisely what the statement means.

kimbyd said:
And as it sounds like the estimate came not from a scientific paper, but from a back-of-the-envelope calculation, it's going to be difficult to track down precisely what the statement means.
Right. That's why I'm asking here if anyone has more information on it. It DID apparently come from some kind of scientific study (I suspect it can be traced back to a NASA report) but as you say, the level of rigor is utterly indeterminate.

Last edited:
JMz said:
An arguably relevant link: https://apod.nasa.gov/apod/ap060729.html
No sources cited, and the BH identifications are ambiguous. OTOH, it's only three LY from Sgr A*.
Nice. There's a preprint linked there:
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/?0412492

Within one parsec is incredible. That's a little less than the distance between our solar system and the next nearest star system (Proxima Centauri).

Sounds like a Beatles song to me only the holes were in Blackburn.

Cheers

Likes dagmar
kimbyd said:
Nice. There's a preprint linked there:
https://arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/?0412492

Within one parsec is incredible. That's a little less than the distance between our solar system and the next nearest star system (Proxima Centauri).
And thus we have crowd-sourced our way to an answer (with a very small crowd). :-)

PBS Spacetime just did a video about the paper. The team basically found 13 X-ray points that matched the spectra of black hole-star binaries within a parsec of the galactic center. They extrapolated from the expected ratio between these types of black holes and the rest to get an approximation around ten thousand.

Likes phinds
newjerseyrunner said:
PBS Spacetime just did a video about the paper. The team basically found 13 X-ray points that matched the spectra of black hole-star binaries within a parsec of the galactic center. They extrapolated from the expected ratio between these types of black holes and the rest to get an approximation around ten thousand.
Very lucid explanation. Thanks for posting.

Likes newjerseyrunner
[/QUOTE]
I second @phinds' response: Thanks.

What is the significance of 10,000 black holes near Sagittarius A?

The discovery of 10,000 black holes near Sagittarius A, the supermassive black hole at the center of our galaxy, is significant because it provides evidence for the existence of a large number of intermediate-mass black holes, which were previously theorized but never observed.

How were the 10,000 black holes near Sagittarius A discovered?

The black holes were detected using data from the Chandra X-ray Observatory and the Very Large Telescope in Chile. Scientists looked for X-ray emissions from hot gas swirling around the black holes, which is a characteristic feature of black holes.

Could these black holes pose a threat to Earth?

No, these black holes are located over 25,000 light-years away from Earth and do not pose any threat to our planet. Additionally, black holes are only dangerous when in close proximity, and the nearest black hole is still far too distant to cause any harm.

What can we learn from the 10,000 black holes near Sagittarius A?

The discovery of these black holes can help us better understand the formation and evolution of galaxies, as well as the behavior of black holes. It also supports the theory that intermediate-mass black holes could be responsible for the growth of supermassive black holes in the centers of galaxies.

What are the future implications of this discovery?

This discovery opens up new avenues for research and study of black holes. Scientists can now study the properties and behaviors of these intermediate-mass black holes, which were previously difficult to observe. It also raises questions about how these black holes formed and how they impact the structure and dynamics of our galaxy.