100th anniversary of Feynman's birth

• Thread starter dRic2
  • Start date
In summary, Richard Feynman gave a commencement address at Caltech in 1974 in which he discussed the dangers of pseudoscience. He warned students about the dangers of believing in things without evidence, and urged them to use their intelligence to investigate things before believing in them.
dRic2
Gold Member
Richard Feynman was born on 11 May 1918, exactly 100 years ago! I feel like celebrating so here one of my favorite Feynman's video. It' is probably not well know because it's not about since at all, but it is so funny!

The ending is just so said though... :cry::cry::cry:

Hope you enjoy it

Last edited:
Likes dlgoff, phinds, Charles Link and 2 others
Physics news on Phys.org
George Jones said:
It would be fun to visit CalTech today... :biggrin:
Much of the focus will be at the California Institute of Technology, where Feynman worked for almost four decades until his death in 1988. It is hosting a two-day meeting featuring a star-studded line up of guests who include Feynman’s sister Joan and his adopted daughter Michelle. Also present at the “Feynman 100” celebration and symposium will be other top scientists like Freeman Dyson, David Gross, Lisa Randall, Sara Seager, Leonard Susskind and Kip Thorne who will “survey the current frontiers of knowledge and share their vision of where science is heading”.

Likes BillTre and dRic2
ZapperZ said:
one obvious error

Not to me... :cry::cry::cry:

ZapperZ said:
But quick! Spot the one obvious error on this list before they got wind of it and correct it (hopefully).

The Express should have conducted itself better.

George Jones said:

Unfortunately, many news organizations right now don't seem to care to do fact-checking, especially on science articles or news. The fact that they thought Bardeen won a Nobel Prize for "MRI imaging" is really mind-boggling, considering that (i) his second Nobel prize was for the theory of superconductivity (he was the "B" in BCS theory); (ii) the Nobel Prize for MRI imaging was awarded to Paul Lauterbur and Peter Mansfield, (iii) the Nobel prize for MRI imaging was for medicine, not physics, and finally (iv) the Nobel prize for MRI imaging was awarded in 2003, more than 10 years after Bardeen died (1991).

ANY one of these facts can be found by simple Googling.

And as of now, I suppose no one has alerted them of this silly error, because I still see it there.

Zz.

Likes dRic2 and Charles Link
ZapperZ said:
ANY one of these facts can be found by simple Googling.

I agree that The Expess should not have made such a siily mistake. My comment

George Jones said:

was my attempt at a pun on the correction.

Likes Charles Link
Likes Charles Link

What is the significance of Feynman's 100th anniversary?

The 100th anniversary of Feynman's birth is significant because it marks the celebration of his life and contributions to the field of physics. Feynman was a renowned theoretical physicist known for his work in quantum mechanics and particle physics.

How is Feynman's legacy remembered on his 100th anniversary?

Feynman's legacy is remembered through various events and activities organized by institutions and organizations around the world. These include conferences, lectures, and exhibitions highlighting his achievements and impact on the scientific community.

What are some of Feynman's most notable contributions to science?

Feynman made significant contributions to various fields of physics, including quantum electrodynamics, particle physics, and nuclear physics. He also developed the Feynman diagrams, which revolutionized the way physicists approach and understand particle interactions.

How did Feynman's work influence modern physics?

Feynman's work has had a profound impact on modern physics, particularly in the development of quantum mechanics and particle physics. His theories and concepts continue to be used and studied by scientists in various fields, shaping our understanding of the universe.

What lessons can we learn from Feynman's life and work on his 100th anniversary?

Feynman's life and work serve as an inspiration for future generations of scientists. He was known for his unconventional thinking, love for learning, and passion for science. His curiosity and determination to understand the world around him continue to inspire others to push the boundaries of knowledge.