-11.2 IVP in explicit form.

In summary, an IVP (initial value problem) in explicit form is an equation that explicitly defines the unknown function and its derivative, as well as the initial values of the function and its derivative at a given point. This type of IVP can be solved by using methods such as separation of variables or the method of undetermined coefficients. The explicit form allows for a clear understanding of the function and its behavior, making it a useful tool in solving differential equations and modeling real-world situations.
karush
Gold Member
MHB
View attachment 9112

Given #11
$\quad\displaystyle
xdx+ye^{-x}dy=0,\quad y(0)=1$
a. Initial value problem in explicit form.
$\quad xdx=-ye^{-x}dy$
separate
$\quad \frac{x}{e^{-x}}\, dx=-y\, dy$
simplify
$\quad xe^x\, dx=-y\, dy$
rewrite
$\quad y\,dy=-xe^x\,dx$
integrate (with boundaries)
$\quad \int_1^y u\,dy=-\int_0^x ve^v\,dv$

OK i did this so far hopefully ok but didnt know how to do b and c (on desmos)

b. Plot the graph of the solution
c. Interval of solution.

Attachments

• 11.2.PNG
    11.2.PNG
    12 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Re: 11.2

I recommend that you integrate both side to find the curve and the graph as well as provide that answer to us.

(You have a typo- your "dy" should be "du".)

Why stop there? Obviously you have to do the integrals! The "du" integral is straight forward. To do the "dv" integral, use "integration by parts".

Solving for y will involve a square root. The domain is determined by the fact that the square root must be of a non-negative number. The graph will have two parts, one with "+", the other with "-".

What title would you like me to give this thread so that the title is useful?

11.2 Initial value problem in explicit form.

I tried to fix it but couldn't

==================================

integrate (with boundaries)
$$\int_1^y y\,dy=-\int_0^x xe^x\,dx$$
then
$\frac{y^2}{2}-\frac{1}{2}=-e^xx+e^x-1$
isolate y
multiply thru by 2 and add 1
$y^2=-2e^xx+2e^x-2+1$
simplify RHS and factor
$y^2=2[1-x]e^x-1$
square both sides
$y = 2[(1-x)e^x-1]^{1/2}$

typo maybe??

when this is graphed you get nothing?

Last edited:

karush said:

thake the square (root) of both sides
$y = 2[(1-x)e^x-1]^{1/2}$

typo maybe??

when this is graphed you get nothing?
The "2" belongs under the square root. Typo? (Sun)

Here's the graph. I have no idea why this would cause you trouble.
View attachment 9113

And don't forget the part of the solution with the negative sign!

-Dan

Attachments

• graph.jpg
    graph.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 64
View attachment 9117
here is the desmos attemptalso I don't know where the interval of $−1.68<x<0.77$ which is the book answer comes from
I set y=0 but that didn't return those values

Attachments

• 11.2d.PNG
    11.2d.PNG
    6.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
karush said:
here is the desmos attemptalso I don't know where the interval of $−1.68<x<0.77$ which is the book answer comes from
I set y=0 but that didn't return those values
What values did you get? If I graph the function on Desmos (https://www.desmos.com/calculator) clicking on the y-intercept, I get x= -1.678 and x= 0.768)

If y= 0 then [tex]2(1- x)e^x- 1= 0[/tex] then [tex]2(1- x)e^x= 1[/tex].

Let u= 1- x so that x= 1- u. The equation becomes [tex]2ue^{1- u}= 2eue^{-u}= 1[/tex]. Let v= -u so that u= -v. The equation becomes [tex]-2eve^v= 1[/tex]. Divide both sides by -2e. [tex]ve^v= -\frac{1}{2e}[/tex]. Then [tex]v= W\left(\frac{-1}{2e}\right)[/tex] where "W" is "Lambert's W function, defined as the inverse function to [tex]f(x)= xe^x[/tex].

1. What does "-11.2 IVP in explicit form" mean?

"-11.2 IVP in explicit form" refers to a type of mathematical equation or formula that represents a function in terms of its independent variable. The "-11.2" indicates a specific constant value, while "IVP" stands for initial value problem, which means that the equation includes an initial condition or starting point.

2. How is an "-11.2 IVP in explicit form" different from other types of equations?

An "-11.2 IVP in explicit form" is different from other types of equations because it is written explicitly in terms of the independent variable, rather than implicitly. This means that the dependent variable is expressed as a function of the independent variable, making it easier to solve for specific values.

3. What is the purpose of using "-11.2 IVP in explicit form" in scientific research?

The use of "-11.2 IVP in explicit form" in scientific research allows for the accurate representation and analysis of mathematical relationships between variables. It also allows for the prediction and understanding of physical phenomena, making it an important tool in many scientific fields.

4. How is "-11.2 IVP in explicit form" used to solve real-world problems?

"-11.2 IVP in explicit form" can be used to solve real-world problems by providing a mathematical model that represents the relationship between variables in a system. This model can then be used to make predictions, optimize processes, or understand the behavior of a system under different conditions.

5. Are there any limitations to using "-11.2 IVP in explicit form" in scientific research?

While "-11.2 IVP in explicit form" is a useful tool in scientific research, it may not always accurately represent complex systems or phenomena. Additionally, it may not be suitable for solving certain types of problems, such as those that involve nonlinear relationships or chaotic behavior.