11th gr. chem (composition of a hydrate)

• Thread starter monica_e826
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Chem Gr
In summary: So you took 5 grams of copper sulfate, which has a mass of 0.15 grams, and dissolved it in water. The mass of the solution was 36% of the mass of the hydrate, or 0.915 grams.
monica_e826
i might get confusing cause i don't understand this very much
but here is the copy of my lab i need help with #1 & 6 of the POST-ALAYSIS
here is the word doc. of my lab
http://courses.digitaldapp.org/documents/Inquiry Lab - Experiment 03 - Composition of a Hydrate.doc

btw.
5 grams of copper II sulfate was used
when it became an anyhride it had a mass of 0.15g

i know i made a mistake somewhere in my lab and i was wondering if you tell where my mistake is and what i should do. i would highly appreciate it.

so i know...
CuSO4 . 5H2O
molar weight is 249.69g

by itself is
CuSO4 = 159.61g
5H2O= 90.81

so i took the
mass of the water/total mass of hydrate x100= 36% of H2O removed in anhydrous copper (II) sulfate.

am i correct?
this is where i got confused...
-determine the # of moles of water present in each mole of hydrous copper (II) sulfate.
so what i did was:
5H2O

H10= 11%=11/1.0079=10.91=2
O5=88%=88/15.9994=5.5=1
is this the correct Empirical formula?
2H10O5 & can be simplified to 2H2O

so now what do i use to find the amount of moles of water present?

Physics news on Phys.org
monica_e826 said:
i might get confusing cause i don't understand this very much
but here is the copy of my lab i need help with #1 & 6 of the POST-ALAYSIS
here is the word doc. of my lab
http://courses.digitaldapp.org/documents/Inquiry Lab - Experiment 03 - Composition of a Hydrate.doc

btw.
5 grams of copper II sulfate was used
when it became an anyhride it had a mass of 0.15g

Are you sure you got that right? I assume that "it had a mass of..." means that the anhydride had a mass of... Is that right?

i know i made a mistake somewhere in my lab and i was wondering if you tell where my mistake is and what i should do. i would highly appreciate it.

so i know...
CuSO4 . 5H2O
molar weight is 249.69g

by itself is
CuSO4 = 159.61g
5H2O= 90.81

Good so far...

so i took the
mass of the water/total mass of hydrate x100= 36% of H2O removed in anhydrous copper (II) sulfate.

am i correct?
this is where i got confused...
-determine the # of moles of water present in each mole of hydrous copper (II) sulfate.
Here is where you strayed off course. The formula for your unknown hydrate is CuSO4 . XH2O. You need to solve for 'X', not assume that it is 5 and do some math without using any of the data you collected.

Show us the raw data you collected.

Dear student,

First of all, it is great that you are seeking help and clarification on your lab report. it is important to always question and seek understanding in our experiments.

To answer your question, let me first clarify the concept of a hydrate. A hydrate is a compound that contains water molecules that are chemically bound to the other molecules in the compound. In your case, copper II sulfate pentahydrate (CuSO4·5H2O) means that for every one mole of copper II sulfate, there are five moles of water molecules attached. The water molecules are not simply mixed with the copper II sulfate, but they are actually part of the compound.

Now, let's address your mistake in the calculation. You have correctly calculated the percentage of water removed in the anhydrous copper II sulfate. However, you did not take into account the fact that you started with 5 grams of copper II sulfate PENTAHYDRATE, not anhydrous copper II sulfate. This means that your calculation should have been:

Mass of water removed/total mass of copper II sulfate pentahydrate x 100 = 0.15g/5g x 100 = 3%

Next, to determine the number of moles of water present in each mole of copper II sulfate pentahydrate, we need to use the molar ratios from the compound's formula. In this case, for every one mole of copper II sulfate, there are five moles of water. So, we can say that one mole of copper II sulfate pentahydrate contains 5 moles of water. This means that in your experiment, you should have removed 5 moles of water for every mole of copper II sulfate pentahydrate used.

To find the amount of moles of water present, you can use the following formula:

Number of moles of water = mass of water removed/molar mass of water

In your case, the mass of water removed is 0.15g, and the molar mass of water is 18.015 g/mol. Plugging in these values, we get:

Number of moles of water = 0.15g/18.015 g/mol = 0.00832 mol

This means that for every mole of copper II sulfate pentahydrate used, there are 0.00832 moles of

1. What is a hydrate in chemistry?

A hydrate in chemistry is a compound that has water molecules trapped within its crystal structure. These water molecules are known as "water of hydration" and are essential for the stability and properties of the compound.

2. How is the composition of a hydrate determined?

The composition of a hydrate can be determined through a process called dehydration, where the water molecules are removed from the compound. The mass of the anhydrous compound is then compared to the mass of the original hydrate to calculate the ratio of water molecules to the anhydrous compound.

3. What is the purpose of determining the composition of a hydrate?

Determining the composition of a hydrate is important in understanding the properties and behavior of the compound. It can also be used to calculate the formula of the hydrate and identify the type of hydrate present.

4. How does temperature affect the composition of a hydrate?

Temperature can affect the composition of a hydrate by causing the water molecules to evaporate or become absorbed into the compound. This can lead to a change in the ratio of water molecules to the anhydrous compound and ultimately alter the properties of the compound.

5. What are some real-world applications of composition of a hydrate in chemistry?

Composition of a hydrate is used in various industries, such as pharmaceuticals, food production, and cosmetics, to ensure the stability and shelf life of products. It is also important in understanding the behavior of atmospheric gases and predicting weather patterns.