14MeV neutrons in MCNP interact with carbon without producing alpha

In summary, the neutron and carbon interaction produces alpha particles without producing protons or neutrons. Physically, the program needs heavy ion transport to ensure the release of secondary alpha particles. However, if alpha particle transport is not enabled, there is a discrepancy between transport and PHITS results.
jianggong
14MeV neutrons in MCNP interact with carbon without producing alpha particles and protons, yes Questions about my cross section data?
I've tried ENDFB8/B7.1, JEFF3.3, JENDL5, CENDL3.2 without any results, but if you use phys:n model, it looks like alpha particles will be produced, but it doesn't seem to be what I expected. How can I solve it? Thanks!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Hi,
The 7th parameter of the “phys:n” card and “phys:p” must be set to 1 to ensure the generation and transport of recoil and (n,p) protons as well as recoil heavy ions.
The 1st entry of the “cut:h, a, #” card must set to 1 keV to transport the whole particles above this cut-off energy.
In order to improve the release of secondary alpha, the INCL4/ABLA model is turned on adding the LCA card with the 9th entry, “icem” set to 2.
You can see this publication :
https://www.researchgate.net/public...ssment_for_neutrons_between_100_keV_to_19_MeV

• Informative
Likes Alex A
Thank you very much for your answer, but after I modified it according to your prompt, it shows that I used it incorrectly. Is there any problem

Attachments

• 无标题.png
    无标题.png
    34.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 无标题0.png
    无标题0.png
    5.8 KB · Views: 92
When heavy ion transport is cancelled, the program is ready to run. However, the physical model must also be used, and the α transport results are different from the measured results, but the PHITS results are accurate. Don't know what the problem is

I'm not sure I can help much, but do you need heavy ion transport for the results or will production rate do?

Have you tried plotting the cross section? Warnings that models are being used is normally a sign cross section tables are missing.

I notice @PSRB191921 said to set phys n and p cards (neutron and photon) and you've set n and h cards (neutron and proton) and I don't know if this is a correction or a mistake.

Alex A said:
I'm not sure I can help much, but do you need heavy ion transport for the results or will production rate do?

Have you tried plotting the cross section? Warnings that models are being used is normally a sign cross section tables are missing.

I notice @PSRB191921 said to set phys n and p cards (neutron and photon) and you've set n and h cards (neutron and proton) and I don't know if this is a correction or a mistake.
Thank you very much for your reply. I need to calculate the energy spectrum deposited by alpha particles generated by neutron and C in C. Currently, the program cannot carry out INCL physical model and heavy ion transport at the same time. When I use the physical model of neutron and C alone and make alpha particles deposit energy in the way of INCL, the program can run. However, there is a certain gap between the transport results and PHITS. I don't know what the problem is.

Attachments

• 无标题00.png
    无标题00.png
    22.1 KB · Views: 86

1. What is the significance of 14MeV neutrons in MCNP?

14MeV neutrons are used in MCNP simulations because they have similar energy levels to those produced in nuclear reactions, making them useful for studying neutron interactions with materials.

2. How do 14MeV neutrons interact with carbon in MCNP simulations?

In MCNP simulations, 14MeV neutrons interact with carbon through elastic scattering, inelastic scattering, and (n,2n) reactions. These interactions can produce secondary particles such as protons, deuterons, and tritons.

3. Why do 14MeV neutrons not produce alpha particles when interacting with carbon in MCNP?

Alpha particles are not produced in neutron interactions with carbon in MCNP because the energy levels of 14MeV neutrons are not high enough to cause the carbon nucleus to split and release alpha particles.

4. Are there any other materials besides carbon that 14MeV neutrons can interact with in MCNP?

Yes, 14MeV neutrons can interact with a wide range of materials in MCNP simulations, including other elements such as hydrogen, oxygen, and iron.

5. How accurate are the results of 14MeV neutron interactions with carbon in MCNP simulations?

The accuracy of results in MCNP simulations depends on various factors, including the quality of the input data and the complexity of the simulation. However, MCNP is a widely used and validated code, so the results of 14MeV neutron interactions with carbon are generally considered to be accurate.