14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length

In summary: I've been looking for high-resolution images of the night sky for a background, but I'm not sure what kind of camera or mount to use.
zanazzi78
Here is a shot of the transit of venus as seen from Swansea, South Wales

i used a 114mm reflector wiht a 900mm focal length with a Mylar solar filter.
A universal t-mount fitter with a 20mm eye piece. mounted on the t mount was a Canon EOS 50E loaded with Fuji Superia XTRA ISO 200 film.

The exposure was 1/45th second taken at 0600hr UT,obviously on the 8 June 2004.

This was the first look i hade of the Transit, just after second contact, as it was a very cloudy day but i got lucky and managed to get 36 usable shots!

I had only been attempting astrophotography for about 2 mponths when this was taken.

Attachments

• Transit1.jpg
    Transit1.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 467
Last edited:
Astronomy news on Phys.org
I thought i`d also sare the very first picture i`ve took. Apart from the croped image i`m very pleased with it

Attachments

• Moon_1.jpg
    Moon_1.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 465
The latest attempt the Summer Triangle (for ref. Vega lower left ... taken on the 1/8/2005)

Attachments

• Summer Triangle B&W II.jpg
    Summer Triangle B&W II.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 618
Astrophotography is very pretty :smile: and was wondering where I could find high resolution images that I could use as a background.

Sorry I missed this before...
zanazzi78 said:
The latest attempt the Summer Triangle (for ref. Vega lower left ... taken on the 1/8/2005)
What kind of camera/mount did you use for that? I recently bought a nice upper-mid level digital camera with 10x zoom and a big lens (like F2.8 even at 10x zoom) and up to 15s manual exposure. I'm hoping for some wide-field shots like that, but summer weather in PA means I haven't had a clear night in months...

Thank you for the links.

1. What is a 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length?

A 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length is a type of telescope that uses a 14mm diameter mirror to gather and reflect light, and has a focal length of 900mm. This means that the light entering the telescope is focused to a point 900mm away from the mirror.

2. How does a 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length work?

A 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length works by using a parabolic or spherical mirror to gather and reflect light. The light enters the telescope and is reflected by the mirror to the eyepiece, where it is magnified for viewing. The longer focal length of 900mm allows for greater magnification of distant objects.

3. What are the advantages of a 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length?

The main advantage of a 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length is its compact size and portability. It is smaller and lighter than other types of telescopes with similar focal lengths, making it easier to transport and set up. It also offers a wide field of view, making it ideal for observing larger objects such as galaxies and star clusters.

4. What can I see with a 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length?

With a 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length, you can see a variety of celestial objects including the moon, planets, star clusters, and galaxies. You can also observe fainter objects such as nebulae and comets, although they may appear smaller due to the limited aperture of the telescope.

5. Is a 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length suitable for astrophotography?

While a 14mm reflector with a 900mm focal length can be used for astrophotography, it may not be the most ideal choice. The longer focal length makes it more difficult to capture wider field images, and the smaller aperture may not gather enough light for detailed and clear images. It is recommended to use a telescope with a shorter focal length and larger aperture for astrophotography.

Back