2.5 Exercises of Feyman lectures on Physics

In summary, according to the book, the W should be 3kg to be in equilibrium, but in the free body diagram shown, the W goes down and has an opposite reaction.
new90
Homework Statement
A uniform plank 1.5m long and weighting 3kg is pivotedat one end.The plank is held in equilibrium in a horizontal position by a weight and pulley arrangement.Find th e W needed to balance th plank.Neglect friction
Relevant Equations
no equation
I think that the W should be 3kg to be in equilibrium but in the book it said that id 3/√(2 I don't why

Physics news on Phys.org
The pulley rope is attached to the end of the plank I assume. So the first thing you do for any force problem is ___________ ?

the diagram

Yes the "free body" diagram.

ok well I know that the the pulley is aright triangle so the part that is conected to the plank forms a 45 angle and i think that's something important

Draw the free body diagram and show us the details .
Also first please see @berkeman comment and finish that up.

Likes berkeman
I finish it

so thw W goes down and have an opposite reaction

You need to draw a good complete free body diagram.
  1. It will include three forces acting on the plank, two of unknown magnitude.
  2. From the fact that the plank is stationary in two different ways two equations obtain.
  3. solve for the unknowns
If you desire further help you must show us your work.

so the total forces are 5?

please list the five. This is not a game of "twenty questions"

Likes etotheipi
the Wx,Wy the gravity that affract the plank the opposite reaction of the gravity and the opposite reaction of Wx

Please draw and submit "free body" diagram: Draw the plank with no external forces ("free body") and one by one add all the labelled vector forces acting ON the plank. Then show your result. Then we can discuss.

paint physics.png

physics.png

physics1.png

like this?

Close. But on the first drawing make a labelled arrow representing each force and its position of application. Doesn't have to be pretty (you don't really need the pulley but you do need the angle).

paint physics 2.png

Draw a single arrow representing each and every force ON the plank (if the direction is wrong the vector will turn out negative) .
These are the tools of the trade. Has no one taught this to you previously (review as necessary!) ?

sorry I am in middle school

but the number of forces are correct

sorry what do you mean only one arrow

Ah, that's good to know. You are doing well then, but may need some basics . Do you have a text other than Feynman availible ? (don't get me wrong I adore RPF lectures but they are difficult to learn from at times)

yes I have the volume 1 of feyman lectures on physics

Can you get a copy of Tipler or Thornton or 0Sears,Zemansky or even Halliday,Resneck . Library??

Those are books

I think I got it

thanks I will try to get a copy

new90 said:
You show forces on two bodies that in principle can move in relation to each other, the plank and the weight. Each FBD should only show one body and the forces on it.
You do not care about forces on the fulcrum, weight or pulley, so just show the plank and the forces on it.

You show the force of gravity on the plank but I see no force from the support or from the rope. You also show an upward arrow in the middle of the plank, but there is no such force here.

ok

i añready finis the problem thanks

Likes hutchphd

1. What is the purpose of the "2.5 Exercises of Feyman lectures on Physics" section?

The purpose of the "2.5 Exercises of Feyman lectures on Physics" section is to provide readers with practice problems and exercises related to the concepts discussed in the lectures. These exercises help reinforce understanding and application of the material.

2. How many exercises are included in this section?

There are a total of 42 exercises included in the "2.5 Exercises of Feyman lectures on Physics" section. They cover a wide range of topics and difficulty levels.

3. Are the solutions to the exercises provided?

Yes, the solutions to all 42 exercises are included in the section. They can be found at the end of the exercises and provide step-by-step explanations on how to solve each problem.

4. Can the "2.5 Exercises of Feyman lectures on Physics" be used as a standalone resource?

While the exercises are designed to complement the lectures, they can also be used as a standalone resource for practicing and testing one's understanding of physics concepts. However, it is recommended to also refer to the corresponding lectures for a deeper understanding.

5. Are the exercises suitable for all levels of physics knowledge?

The exercises in this section are suitable for a wide range of physics knowledge, from beginners to advanced learners. They cover basic concepts as well as more complex problems, allowing readers to test their understanding and challenge themselves.