Work associated with polarization and magnetization

In summary, the authors state that the work associated with polarization and magnetization can be calculated using the equations ##\delta W = E dP## and ##\delta W = BdM##, respectively. The reasoning behind this is that for polarization, the force on bound charges can be written as ## \mathbf F = (q_{bound} + q_{ext}) \mathbf E ##, where ##q_{ext} = 0## for a neutral material. This leads to the expression ## \delta W = \mathbf E \cdot d \mathbf P##. For magnetization, the energy can be calculated using the equation ## \delta W = \mathbf B \cdot d \mathbf m##
dRic2
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Hi, this is not an exercise. In some lecture notes the authors states that from elementary EM I should familiar with the fact that the work associated with polarization and magnetization of a material is given by ##\delta W = E dP## and ##\delta W = BdM##. I have to admit that I am super rusty about EM so I was wondering if my reasoning to get here is correct.

- polarization: from Lorentz force without B field and identifying with ## d \mathbf l## the displacement from the "equilibrium position" (P = 0) of the bound charges, I get ## \mathbf F \cdot d \mathbf l = (q_{bound} + q_{ext}) \mathbf E \cdot d \mathbf l ##. Since I'm considering a neutral material ##q_{ext} = 0##, I can write ## \delta W = \mathbf E \cdot ( q_{bound} d \mathbf l )##. Here I naively identify ##q_{bound} d \mathbf l = d \mathbf P## and conclude ## \delta W = \mathbf E \cdot d \mathbf P##

- magnetization: I recall that for a magnetic dipole ## \mathbf m##, ## U = - \mathbf m \cdot \mathbf B##. Since the filed is supposed to be constant I just take the differential and it follows immediately that ## \delta W = \mathbf B \cdot d \mathbf m##

Physics news on Phys.org
Notice this then leads to the respective energy density E⋅D/2 and B⋅H/2 as it must. Jackson does this all rather well I think.

Likes dRic2
Yes, didn't have a copy available. I'm going to check tomorrow. Thanks

Likes hutchphd

What is polarization?

Polarization is the process of separating or aligning the electric charges within a material, resulting in the creation of an electric dipole moment.

How is polarization related to magnetization?

Polarization and magnetization are closely related as they both involve the alignment of charges within a material. In magnetization, the alignment of charges leads to the creation of a magnetic dipole moment, while in polarization, the alignment of charges leads to an electric dipole moment.

What is the difference between electric polarization and magnetic polarization?

Electric polarization refers to the separation of electric charges within a material, while magnetic polarization refers to the alignment of magnetic dipoles within a material. Additionally, electric polarization can be induced in a material, while magnetic polarization is an inherent property of certain materials.

What are some applications of polarization and magnetization?

Polarization and magnetization have various applications in technology, including in electronic devices, data storage, and medical imaging. They are also important in the study of materials and their properties.

How can polarization and magnetization be measured?

Polarization and magnetization can be measured using various techniques, such as polarimetry and magnetometry. These techniques involve measuring the changes in the electric or magnetic fields produced by the aligned charges or dipoles within a material.