2 blocks collide, 5% energy loss. 2 answers, which correct?

In summary: If you solve the problem with no energy loss, you'll find one solution is where the blocks miss each other and continue with their original velocities. The first case is, therefore, a variation of this with the 5% energy loss.
Ocata

Homework Statement

The question I have is not how to arrive at the correct values of final velocity, but once I have the values of final velocity, how do I know which velocities (which are computed from a quadratic equation) are correct?

Two blocks, block A and Block B, are traveling to the right.

Before collision:

Block A is 4kg at 10m/s
Block B is 2kg at 5m/s

After collision:

Block A is 4kg at vf = ?
Block B is 2kg at Vf = ?

Energy loss is .05

Homework Equations

mvi + MVi = mvf + MVf

1/2mvf^2 + 1/2MVf^2 = .95[1/2mvi^2 + 1/2MVi^2]

The Attempt at a Solution

mvi + MVi = mvf + MVf ==> Vf = 25 - 2vf

1/2mvf^2 + 1/2MVf^2 = .95[1/2mvi^2 + 1/2MVi^2] ==> 4vf^2 + 2Vf^2 = 427.54vf^2 + 2(25 - 2vf) = 427.5 ==> 12vf^2 - 200vf + 822.5 = 0

Quadratic Formula ==> vf = 9.28m/s and 7.38m/s

then,
Vf = 25 - 2(9.28) = 6.44m/s and Vf = 25 - 2(7.38) = 10.24m/s

So the possible answers are:

[vf = 9.28m/s Vf = 6.44m/s] or [vf = 7.38m/s Vf = 10.24]

Given the energy loss of .05, how could I know which set of final velocities are correct? I don't think I can just rationalize it because in either case, the faster, heavier block A slows down upon colliding with the lighter, slower block B. And Block B speeds up upon being struck by the faster, heavier block A. What I mean is, in both final answers, Block A is slowing down and Block B is speeding up.

Is there a computation that will determine which set of velocities are correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ocata said:
So the possible answers are:

[vf = 9.28m/s Vf = 6.44m/s] or [vf = 7.38m/s Vf = 10.24]

Is there a computation that will determine which set of velocities are correct?

In the first case the larger block is moving faster than the smaller block after the collision. Do you think this is possible?

Likes Ocata
Makes perfect sense PeroK. The larger block must be moving slower that the smaller block after collision because the larger block is behind the smaller block. It can't physically pass the smaller block. I was simply looking at the numbers in a scalar sense and not considering the bigger picture.

Thank you.

Ocata said:
Makes perfect sense PeroK. The larger block must be moving slower that the smaller block after collision because the larger block is behind the smaller block. It can't physically pass the smaller block. I was simply looking at the numbers in a scalar sense and not considering the bigger picture.

Thank you.

If you solve the problem with no energy loss, you'll find one solution is where the blocks miss each other and continue with their original velocities. The first case is, therefore, a variation of this with the 5% energy loss.

Likes Ocata
Thanks PeroK

1. How do you calculate the energy loss when two blocks collide?

The energy loss when two blocks collide can be calculated using the formula: Energy loss = Initial energy - Final energy. In this case, 5% of the initial energy will be lost.

2. Is 5% energy loss a significant amount in a collision?

It depends on the context of the collision. In some cases, 5% energy loss may be considered significant, whereas in others it may be negligible. It is important to consider the specific circumstances of the collision and the significance of the energy loss in that scenario.

3. How does the mass and velocity of the blocks affect the energy loss in a collision?

The mass and velocity of the blocks do not directly affect the percentage of energy loss in a collision. However, they do play a role in determining the initial energy of the blocks and therefore, the actual amount of energy lost.

4. Can the energy loss in a collision be negative?

No, the energy loss in a collision cannot be negative. Energy loss is always a positive value, representing the decrease in energy from the initial state.

5. What factors can contribute to the energy loss in a collision?

There are several factors that can contribute to the energy loss in a collision, including the elasticity of the objects involved, the angle of impact, and any external forces acting on the objects. Additionally, factors such as friction and heat can also play a role in energy loss during a collision.