Calculating Work and Kinetic Energy on an Inclined Plane

In summary, the individual has completed parts a-d of a problem involving a block being pushed up an inclined plane, but is unsure about calculating the final kinetic energy of the block and would like confirmation that their approach of using net work is correct before submitting their work.
takelgith
Summary:: I have done parts a-d but I can't seem to get e correct!

A 6.10 kg block is pushed 9.00 m up a smooth 38.0 ∘ inclined plane by a horizontal force of 78.0 N . If the initial speed of the block is 3.20 m/s up the plane.

a. Calculate the initial kinetic energy of the block. (found to be 31.2 J)
b. Calculate the work done by the 78.0 N force. (found to be 553 J)
c. Calculate the work done by gravity. (found to be -331 J)
d. Calculate the work done by the normal force. (found to be 0 J)
e. Calculate the final kinetic energy of the block. ( HELP)

I tried maybe doing like a net work thing. Where I added all the works together and equated to kinetic energy. so:

Ek would be: 31.2 +553 -331 = 253.2

I need to know if this is correct beforehand, because I only have 1 attempt left!

[Moderator's note: Moved from a technical forum and thus no template.]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
takelgith said:
Summary:: I have done parts a-d but I can't seem to get e correct!

A 6.10 kg block is pushed 9.00 m up a smooth 38.0 ∘ inclined plane by a horizontal force of 78.0 N . If the initial speed of the block is 3.20 m/s up the plane.

a. Calculate the initial kinetic energy of the block. (found to be 31.2 J)
b. Calculate the work done by the 78.0 N force. (found to be 553 J)
c. Calculate the work done by gravity. (found to be -331 J)
d. Calculate the work done by the normal force. (found to be 0 J)
e. Calculate the final kinetic energy of the block. ( HELP)

I tried maybe doing like a net work thing. Where I added all the works together and equated to kinetic energy. so:

Ek would be: 31.2 +553 -331 = 253.2

I need to know if this is correct beforehand, because I only have 1 attempt left!
Looks right. Why would you doubt it?

He explained why. He wants us to check it before he submits it as his own work.

1. What is a block on an inclined plane?

A block on an inclined plane refers to a physical system in which a block or object is placed on a ramp or surface that is not horizontal. The block is subject to the force of gravity, which pulls it down the incline.

2. How does the angle of the incline affect the block?

The angle of the incline affects the block by changing the amount of force acting on it. As the angle increases, the component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the incline also increases, causing the block to accelerate down the incline at a faster rate.

3. What is the relationship between the mass of the block and its acceleration?

According to Newton's Second Law of Motion, the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. Therefore, for a given incline and applied force, a heavier block will have a smaller acceleration compared to a lighter block.

4. How does friction affect a block on an inclined plane?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and is present whenever two surfaces are in contact. In the case of a block on an inclined plane, friction acts in the opposite direction of the block's motion, slowing it down. The amount of friction depends on the coefficient of friction between the block and the incline, as well as the normal force acting on the block.

5. What is the formula for calculating the force of gravity on a block on an inclined plane?

The force of gravity on a block on an inclined plane can be calculated using the formula Fg = mg sinθ, where Fg is the force of gravity, m is the mass of the block, and θ is the angle of the incline. This formula takes into account the component of the force of gravity acting parallel to the incline.