2-dimentional movement of a point

In summary, The speaker is struggling with calculus and derivatives in general. They need help with a specific step in their homework and provide equations describing the movement of a point. They also mention their confusion with solving sin and cos derivatives. They hope to learn from others and clarify the use of the term "angular velocity" in their problem.
SimpliciusH
Ok, I know this post is not up to specs but the real problem with this is my trouble with calculus and derivatives (I'm actually worse at that than at English ;) ) in general. I only need help with this step of the homework (basic math help).

This describes the movement of the point:
x= 4*x0*cos (Angular velocity*time)
y= x0*sin (2*angular velocity*time)

Angular velocity is given as is x0.

At first I just thought dx/dt = v, and went for it by using the rule (dsink*k/dx=k*cos(k*x)) got:

Vx=-4x0*angular velocity* sin (angular velocity*t)
Vy=x0*2*angular velocity*cos (2*angular velocity*t)

I know this is wrong. Since I realized as soon as I wrote it that, angular velocity is v/r so d(v/r)/dt, trying to get throught that using the rule for d(f(x)/g(x))/dx it got quickly complicated since looking at the XY graph (I got something that looks like a 8) for movment leads me to believe r is not constant.

Anyway the more basic problem is that I don't know how to solve sin (f(x)*x)/dx or the second one for cos :(

I can solve d(f(x)*x)/dx and dsin(x)/dx (since both are covered by the simple equations) but putting them together confuses the heck out of me.

You guys where very patient and helpful with my previous problem, I hope I can learn from you again. :) Again, thaks for taking the time to help a newbie with something (for you) this trivial. :)

PS I hope angular velocity is the proper english word the derivative for what I mean is dAngle/dTime its related to velocity (v= r * angular velocity).

Physics news on Phys.org
SimpliciusH said:
I know this is wrong. Since I realized as soon as I wrote it that, angular velocity is v/r...

It is not wrong. You took the derivatives correctly so the velocity components are what they are. Here you do not have circular motion, so ω=v/r does not apply. If you had circular motion then

x2+y2 = constant. This is not the case here.

As a scientist, my first suggestion would be to review the fundamental principles and equations of calculus and derivatives. It is important to have a strong foundation in these concepts in order to solve more complex problems.

That being said, let's take a look at the movement of the point described in the post. From the given equations, we can see that x and y are both functions of time. This means that we can use the chain rule to find the derivatives of x and y with respect to time.

To find the derivative of x with respect to time, we can use the chain rule as follows:

dx/dt = d/dt[4*x0*cos(angular velocity*time)]
= 4*x0*(-sin(angular velocity*time))*d/dt[angular velocity*time]
= 4*x0*(-sin(angular velocity*time))*angular velocity
= -4*x0*angular velocity*sin(angular velocity*time)

Similarly, the derivative of y with respect to time can be found using the chain rule:

dy/dt = d/dt[x0*sin(2*angular velocity*time)]
= x0*cos(2*angular velocity*time)*d/dt[2*angular velocity*time]
= x0*cos(2*angular velocity*time)*2*angular velocity
= 2*x0*angular velocity*cos(2*angular velocity*time)

Now, we can see that the velocity in the x-direction (Vx) is equal to the derivative of x with respect to time, and the velocity in the y-direction (Vy) is equal to the derivative of y with respect to time. So, we can write the velocities as:

Vx = -4*x0*angular velocity*sin(angular velocity*time)
Vy = 2*x0*angular velocity*cos(2*angular velocity*time)

I hope this helps with your understanding of derivatives and solving this problem. Remember to always go back to the fundamental principles and equations when facing a new problem, and don't hesitate to seek help when needed. Good luck with your homework!

Related to 2-dimentional movement of a point

What is 2-dimensional movement?

2-dimensional movement refers to the movement of an object or point in a two-dimensional space, which includes two directions: horizontal (x-axis) and vertical (y-axis).

What is a point in 2-dimensional movement?

A point in 2-dimensional movement is a location or position in a two-dimensional space, represented by coordinates on a coordinate plane. It has no size or shape, and can be moved along the x-axis and y-axis.

How is 2-dimensional movement represented?

2-dimensional movement is often represented using a coordinate plane, also known as a Cartesian plane. The x-axis is the horizontal line and the y-axis is the vertical line. Points are plotted on the plane using their coordinates (x,y).

What is velocity in 2-dimensional movement?

Velocity in 2-dimensional movement is a vector quantity that describes the rate of change of an object's position in both the horizontal and vertical directions. It is typically measured in units of distance per time (e.g. meters per second).

How is acceleration calculated in 2-dimensional movement?

Acceleration in 2-dimensional movement is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. This can be represented using the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.