2^k - 1 as Output of a Circuit with 3 k-bit Inputs

In summary: If you have a circuit with 3 inputs with k bits, A, B and C, how can you get the output to be 2^k - 1 using relatively standard components?The output can be 2^k - 1 if the circuit has a mux, decoder, and adder.
Schfra
Thread moved from the technical forums, so no Homework Template is shown
If I have a circuit with 3 inputs with k bits, A, B and C, how can I get the output to be 2^k - 1 using relatively standard components? And, or, not, mux, decoder, adder, etc...

This is for part of an exercise that I’m doing. I couldn’t find anything in the notes to help. Could anybody give some advice about how to deal with powers in a situation like this?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is this for homework?

Assuming it is, have you ever worked with truth tables?
Why don't you draw the truth table mapping your inputs to outputs.
Also I am making an assumption that the output is digital.

Likes Schfra
donpacino said:
Is this for homework?

Assuming it is, have you ever worked with truth tables?
Why don't you draw the truth table mapping your inputs to outputs.
Also I am making an assumption that the output is digital.
This question isn’t a homework question but I think I’ll be able to figure out a homework problem I’m working on if I get this figured out.

And yes it’s digital.

I’m not quite sure how to make a truth table with inputs that have k bits.

Welcome to the PF.
Schfra said:
This question isn’t a homework question but I think I’ll be able to figure out a homework problem I’m working on if I get this figured out.
It's still a schoolwork-type question, so it belongs in the schoolwork forums. I've moved your thread for you.
Schfra said:
I'm not quite sure how to make a truth table with inputs that have k bits.
You should be able to use your study materials or even Google Images to see how to do this. Your first 9 columns are the 3 input variables with their 3 bits apiece, and the column(s) to the right are the corresponding outputs.

Likes Schfra
berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

It's still a schoolwork-type question, so it belongs in the schoolwork forums. I've moved your thread for you.

You should be able to use your study materials or even Google Images to see how to do this. Your first 9 columns are the 3 input variables with their 3 bits apiece, and the column(s) to the right are the corresponding outputs.
Thanks, I must have missed the section for engineering homework.

Why 3 bits apiece if the variables are all k bits? I think the unknown number of bits is throwing me off.

Schfra said:
If I have a circuit with 3 inputs with k bits, A, B and C, how can I get the output to be 2^k - 1
Schfra said:
hy 3 bits apiece if the variables are all k bits? I think the unknown number of bits is throwing me off.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding your original problem statement. I thought you meant you had 3 inputs and each had bits A, B and C. But I guess you mean you have 3 input variables A, B, and C, each with k bits apiece? In that case, what do you mean that you want the output to be 2^k - 1? Have you posted the full problem statement? Was there any diagram with it?

Likes Schfra

What is the significance of "2^k - 1" in a circuit with 3 k-bit inputs?

The output of "2^k - 1" represents the maximum value that can be produced by the circuit. This value is important because it helps determine the range of possible outputs and can be used to optimize the circuit's design.

Why is the output of a circuit with 3 k-bit inputs expressed as "2^k - 1"?

This expression is used because it is the most efficient way to represent the maximum output value using k bits. It also allows for easier calculation and optimization of the circuit.

What is the relationship between the number of inputs and the output value in this type of circuit?

The output value is directly related to the number of inputs, as it is determined by the maximum value that can be produced by the combination of k bits. As the number of inputs increases, so does the maximum output value.

How does the output value change if the number of bits in the inputs is increased or decreased?

If the number of bits in the inputs is increased, the maximum output value will also increase. Similarly, if the number of bits is decreased, the maximum output value will decrease. This is because the number of inputs directly affects the range of possible output values.

Can the output value of "2^k - 1" be achieved with inputs of different bit sizes?

Yes, the output value of "2^k - 1" can be achieved with inputs of different bit sizes as long as the number of inputs is equal to the number of bits used in the expression. For example, if the input is 4 bits, then "2^4 - 1" will produce a maximum output value of 15.