What is a 3-bit Digital to Analogue Converter and How Does it Work?

In summary: The resistances in the table are the equivalent resistances in the circuit.The output voltages are easy to calculate from the resistances and the supply voltage.You can use this same method to solve any other binary sequence.
Michael Neo
Homework Statement
For the digital to analogue convertor circuit shown below and taking C as the most significant bit, construct a table of all the possible output voltages given a supply voltage of 24 volts.
Show all calculations.
Relevant Equations
None.
Digital Analog Converter.PNG

There is an example of a two bit DAC in the notes but not a three bit DAC.

Three digital inputs results in 8 analogue outputs:

23 = 8

Digital Inputs_________Analogue Outputs
CBA
000____________________0
001____________________1/12 x 24 = 2 V
010____________________2/12 x 24 = 4 V
011____________________4/12 x 24 = 8 V
100____________________
101____________________
110____________________
111____________________

The incomplete table is included in the notes.
I obviously understand the fraction must be multiplied by the supply voltage.
The 2 bit DAC in the notes is solved by using circuit analysis and constructing equivalent pieces of the circuit.
That is straightforward but the fractions they derive from it aren't explained clearly.
Any advice to would be much appreciated.

I have searched online but there are no R/2R circuits like this.

Physics news on Phys.org
A small piece of advice to get me started would be much appreciated!

Well, I would just make the table and figure out what the equivilent resistances are from point "D" to 24V and Ground. I haven't tried it yet, but that's how I'd approach it.

I'd also probably fill in the table for the entries 000, 111, 100, 010, and 001 first, to get a feel for how the other entries would probably play out...

Likes Michael Neo
The 011 value in your table is incorrect. This is easy to see if you have studied superposition in linear circuits. Basically, in a linear circuit with an output function f(x), then f(a+b) = f(a) + f(b), where a and b represent different inputs to the circuit. That could be two different values at a single input, or it could also be the output from two different inputs.

The key insight into the analysis of all forms of the R-2R ladder circuits is that the resistance seen looking away from any of the central nodes is the same fixed value. This applies for either direction from the node. After you have figured that out the analysis becomes a simple exercise in voltage dividers.

Likes Michael Neo
But as you mentioned before, this R-2R ladder DAC has a slightly different configuration than normal... Can you show us the values you got (and the resistor pullup/pulldown numbers that led to the output voltages)?

Likes Michael Neo
Thank you both for taking the time to reply.

The three bit DAC is exactly the same as the one in the problem statement.

Here are the notes:

r2 1.PNG

r2 1b.PNG

r2 3.PNG

r2 4.PNG

r2 5.PNG

1566850022952.png

r2 7.PNG

r2 8.PNG

Last edited:
@DaveE

The table is from the notes.

Ah!

In binary, the sequence in the table is 1, 2, 4.

3 has been ommitted.

Since they increase by a fixed amount, 011 (i.e. 3) gives 3/12 of V output.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC)?

A Digital to Analogue Converter (DAC) is a device that converts digital signals into analogue signals. It takes a binary input and produces an output voltage or current that corresponds to the digital input value. This allows digital devices, such as computers and smartphones, to communicate with analogue devices, such as speakers and amplifiers.

2. How does a DAC work?

A DAC works by using a binary input, typically in the form of a series of 0s and 1s, to control the output voltage or current. It does this by using a digital-to-analogue conversion process, which involves a series of steps to translate the digital input into an analogue output. This can be done using different techniques, such as binary-weighted resistors, R-2R ladder networks, or pulse-width modulation.

3. What are the different types of DACs?

There are several types of DACs, including binary-weighted, R-2R ladder, sigma-delta, and pulse-width modulation (PWM) DACs. Each type uses a different method to convert digital signals into analogue signals. The choice of DAC type depends on the specific application and the required performance, such as speed, accuracy, and resolution.

4. What are the applications of DACs?

DACs have a wide range of applications in various industries, including audio and video equipment, telecommunications, medical devices, and industrial control systems. They are used to convert digital signals from devices such as CD players, DVD players, and smartphones into analogue signals that can be amplified and played through speakers or transmitted over long distances.

5. What are the advantages of using a DAC?

Using a DAC has several advantages, including improved sound and image quality, increased speed and accuracy, and compatibility between digital and analogue devices. DACs also allow for the conversion of digital signals into multiple analogue outputs, making it possible to connect multiple devices to a single digital source. Additionally, DACs are essential for converting digital signals into analogue signals, which are necessary for many devices to function properly.