2 questions about the photo electric effect

In summary, the difference between the red and green lines in the first figure is due to the "work function" of the metal, which determines the likelihood of electrons escaping when exposed to different frequencies of light. The second figure shows two different intensities at the same wavelength, with the "stopping potential" remaining the same due to the same photon energy. However, the more intense light results in more electrons being liberated per second. In all curves, increasing the applied voltage will not significantly affect the number of electrons being pulled, leading to a saturation point.
Supitha
22906991854_266de9cdfe_o.png
image741.jpg

1. How can explain the difference of these red dots?
  2. Red line = Green line ?. How to explain it?

Likes Kizer
Physics news on Phys.org
Even when the applied voltage is zero, there is a kind of "virtual" voltage that pulls the electrons back into the metal. This is called the "work function", I believe.
So at low photon frequencies, there is a smaller chance that an electron will end up with enough energy to leave the metal (because total energy = photon energy + random thermal energy). For high photon energies, there is more chance of escaping i.e. more chance that electron's original thermal energy plus photon energy will carry it over the work function threshold.

Likes Supitha and Kizer
Swamp Thing said:
Even when the applied voltage is zero, there is a kind of "virtual" voltage that pulls the electrons back into the metal. This is called the "work function", I believe.
So at low photon frequencies, there is a smaller chance that an electron will end up with enough energy to leave the metal (because total energy = photon energy + random thermal energy). For high photon energies, there is more chance of escaping i.e. more chance that electron's original thermal energy plus photon energy will carry it over the work function threshold.
Thank you so much.

Likes Kizer
What's happenning in second one?

Kizer said:
who me?
No. The second pic

I'm guessing here, but the second figure probably shows two different intensities at the same wavelength. The "stopping potential" is the same for both curves because the photon energy is the same, but once you allow some current to flow then the more intense light means more photons per second which means more electrons per second.

Going back to fig. 1, all curves involve the same intensity (same rate of photons per second) so they all saturate at the same number of electrons per second. If you increase the applied voltage to a huge value, you can still pull only those electrons that are liberated by photons, so "pulling harder" won't make much difference -- so the curves saturate at some point.

Likes Supitha

What is the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect, also known as the Hertz effect, is the phenomenon where electrons are emitted from a material when it is exposed to electromagnetic radiation such as light.

What is the significance of the photoelectric effect?

The photoelectric effect played a crucial role in the development of modern physics, as it provided evidence for the particle nature of light and helped to establish the concept of energy quantization. It also has practical applications in devices such as photovoltaic cells and photoelectric sensors.

How does the photoelectric effect work?

When a photon of light hits a material, it transfers its energy to an electron in the material. If the energy of the photon is greater than the work function of the material, the electron can overcome the binding energy of the material and be ejected as a photoelectron.

What is the work function in the context of the photoelectric effect?

The work function is the minimum amount of energy required for an electron to escape from the surface of a material. It is different for each material and depends on factors such as the type of material and its surface properties.

What is the relationship between the intensity of light and the number of photoelectrons emitted?

The number of photoelectrons emitted is directly proportional to the intensity of light. This means that increasing the intensity of light will result in more photoelectrons being emitted, as long as the frequency of the light is above the threshold frequency for the material.