2 questions--seems simple -- Heisenberg Uncertainty

In summary, the conversation discusses two questions from a Modern Physics textbook. The first question involves calculating the speed of a ladybug by considering the uncertainty in its position. The second question explores the violation of energy conservation in a pion emission reaction, and the necessary time interval for the pion to be reabsorbed to avoid this violation. The equation ΔXΔP ≥ ħ/2 and the concept of uncertainty are used to solve these problems.
fu11meta1

Homework Statement

These questions are out of Modern Physics by Tipler. I feel like I'm close to the answer but missing something small.

#1: A ladybug 5mm in diameter with a mass of 1 mg being viewed through a low power magnifier with a calibrated reticule is observed to be stationary with an uncertainty of 10^-2 mm. How fast might the ladybug actually be walking?

#2 Protons and neutrons in nuclei are bound to the nucleus by exchanging pions ( pi mesons) with each other. This is possible to do without violating energy conservation provided the pion is reabsorbed within a time consistent with the Heisenberg uncertainty relations. Consider the emission reaction p --> p + where m = 135 MeV/c2.

A: Ignoring kinetic energy, by how much is energy conservation violated in this reaction?
B: Within what time interval must the pion be reabsorbed in order to avoid the violation of energy conservation?

Homework Equations

ΔXΔP ≥ ħ/2
ΔE*τ ≥ ħ

The Attempt at a Solution

For #1:
I said that since the uncertainty is .01mm the lower boundary(lowest possible measurement for the diameter) is (5 - .01)mm and the upper boundary is (5+.01)mm. so:

ΔP≈ ħ/2(ΔX) (For both X's. You'll get 2 values for P)

Then saying P=MV. so V ≈ ħ/2(M)(ΔX) for both X's.

For #2:
I said that the conservation is violated by the rest energy of one pion. Because p ---> p + π is the reaction.

but I'm not sure what to use for the uncertainty for E (ΔE) in:
τ ≥ ħ/ΔE

My best! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
#2: what kinds of energy are you being told about?
just looking at the equation - what is the change in energy?

#1: Δx is the uncertainty in position - not an actual position.

I see! Thanks for your help. I read some more into it and found that it is the uncertainty. As for #2 it 135 MeV(pion). for ΔE

1. What is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle states that it is impossible to know both the exact position and momentum of a subatomic particle simultaneously. In other words, the more precisely we know the position of a particle, the less precisely we can know its momentum, and vice versa.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle was proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. How does the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle impact our understanding of the universe?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has significant implications for quantum mechanics and our understanding of the behavior of subatomic particles. It challenges the classical notion of determinism, which states that the properties of a particle can be known and predicted with certainty. Instead, it suggests that there is inherent uncertainty in the behavior of particles and that the act of observation can affect their behavior.

4. Is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle a proven theory?

Yes, the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has been extensively tested and is considered a fundamental principle of quantum mechanics. It has been confirmed through various experiments, including the famous double-slit experiment.

5. How is the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle used in practical applications?

The Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle has been applied in various fields, including quantum computing, cryptography, and medical imaging. It also has implications for the development of technologies such as atomic clocks and electron microscopes.