About the Heisenberg uncertainty principle

In summary, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle states that the product of the uncertainties in position (Δx) and momentum (Δp) of a particle is always greater than or equal to a constant value (ħ). This is represented mathematically by the equations Δx = √(<x^2> - <x>^2) and Δp = √(<p^2> - <p>^2). These equations can be understood as the standard deviation of the difference between the average value and a given value for position and momentum, respectively. The proof of these equations lies in the definition of standard deviation in the field of statistics.
Another
heisenberg uncertainty principle

## Δx Δp ≥ ħ##

where

##Δx = \sqrt{<\hat{x}^2>-<\hat{x}>^2}##
##Δp = \sqrt{<\hat{p}^2>-<\hat{p}>^2}##

I don't know. Why ##Δx## equal to ## \sqrt{<\hat{x}^2>-<\hat{x}>^2} ## and ## Δp ## equal to ## \sqrt{<\hat{p}^2>-<\hat{p}>^2} ##

What can I find out about this keyword ? I want to see the proof.

Physics news on Phys.org
##\Delta x## is just the root mean square (RMS) value of the difference between the average value ##<x>## and some ##x##. Same for ##\Delta p##.
Mathematically ##(\Delta x)^2=\left< (<x>-x)^2 \right>##
Expanding the square on the right side,
##\left< (<x>-x)^2 \right>=<x>^2-2<<x>x>+<x^2>=<x>^2-2<x><x>+<x^2>=<x^2>-<x>^2##
Therefore ##\Delta x=\sqrt{<x^2>-<x>^2}##.

Note: The angular brackets imply averaging or expectation value.

Likes Another
Another said:
heisenberg uncertainty principle

## Δx Δp ≥ ħ##

where

##Δx = \sqrt{<\hat{x}^2>-<\hat{x}>^2}##
##Δp = \sqrt{<\hat{p}^2>-<\hat{p}>^2}##

I don't know. Why ##Δx## equal to ## \sqrt{<\hat{x}^2>-<\hat{x}>^2} ## and ## Δp ## equal to ## \sqrt{<\hat{p}^2>-<\hat{p}>^2} ##

What can I find out about this keyword ? I want to see the proof.

I'm not sure what you mean by wanting to see the "proof". This is the definition of "standard deviation" in field of statistics. Show those expressions to a statistician who knows nothing about QM, and he/she should be able to tell you what they are.

Zz.

1. What is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is a fundamental concept in quantum mechanics that states that it is impossible to know certain pairs of physical properties of a particle, such as its position and momentum, with absolute precision at the same time. This is due to the inherent uncertainty and unpredictability of quantum particles at the subatomic level.

2. Who discovered the Heisenberg uncertainty principle?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle was first proposed by German physicist Werner Heisenberg in 1927.

3. How does the Heisenberg uncertainty principle impact our understanding of the physical world?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle fundamentally challenges our classical understanding of the physical world. It suggests that at the subatomic level, the behavior of particles is inherently unpredictable and that certain properties cannot be known with absolute certainty. This has led to the development of quantum mechanics, which provides a more accurate description of the behavior of particles at the subatomic level.

4. Can the Heisenberg uncertainty principle be observed in everyday life?

No, the Heisenberg uncertainty principle only applies to particles at the subatomic level. In our everyday lives, the effects of this principle are negligible and can only be observed in highly controlled laboratory settings.

5. How is the Heisenberg uncertainty principle related to the concept of wave-particle duality?

The Heisenberg uncertainty principle is closely related to the concept of wave-particle duality, which states that particles can exhibit both wave-like and particle-like properties. The uncertainty principle explains that this duality arises because it is impossible to know both the position and momentum of a particle with absolute certainty at the same time. This principle also applies to other complementary pairs of properties, such as energy and time.