2 unknown Forces+known resultant force

In summary, the problem involves finding the values of Fa and Fb, two ropes pulling an object with a resultant force of 970 N along the x axis at angles of 20 and 51 degrees. The student believes they need to use the law of sines or cosines but is struggling to find the correct values. They have attempted to solve the problem using a vector diagram and the law of sines, but are getting small numbers as a result. They are unsure of what they are doing wrong and need help finding the x component of Fa and Fb.
Xiomara

Homework Statement

Hi, I'm having trouble with my first mechanics assignment and I'd appreciate some help.
So, an object is being pulled using two ropes (Fa and Fb) with a resultant force of 970 N along the x axis. The angle from Fa to the axis is 20 degrees, angle from fb to the axis is 51 degrees. I need to calculate Fa and Fb.

Homework Equations

I think that I need to use either law of sines or cosines but am not sure.
c^2=a^2+b^2-2abcos(c)
sin(A)/a=sin(B)/b=sin(C)/c

The Attempt at a Solution

I made a vector diagram (triangle). I then tried to find F a and b by plugging all my knowns into the law of sines and solving. sin(C)/c=sin(51)/970=8.0118, but when I try to calculate the others based on this I get very small numbers, less than one. What am I doing wrong??

Physics news on Phys.org
How would you write the x component of ##F_{a}## and ##F_{b}##?

1. What are the two unknown forces in a system with a known resultant force?

The two unknown forces in a system with a known resultant force are the forces acting on the system that are not directly observable or known. These forces may be internal forces, such as tension or compression within a structure, or external forces, such as friction or air resistance.

2. How can the two unknown forces be determined with a known resultant force?

To determine the two unknown forces in a system with a known resultant force, you can use the principle of vector addition. By drawing a vector diagram and using trigonometric functions, you can calculate the magnitude and direction of the unknown forces.

3. What are the applications of analyzing systems with two unknown forces and a known resultant force?

Understanding and analyzing systems with two unknown forces and a known resultant force is important in various fields, including engineering, physics, and mechanics. It allows for the design and optimization of structures and machines, and helps in predicting and preventing failures.

4. Can the two unknown forces be negative in a system with a known resultant force?

Yes, the two unknown forces can be negative in a system with a known resultant force. Negative forces represent forces acting in the opposite direction of the chosen positive direction. This does not change the magnitude or direction of the force, but it affects the sign or direction of the force vector.

5. Are there any limitations to analyzing systems with two unknown forces and a known resultant force?

One limitation to analyzing systems with two unknown forces and a known resultant force is that it assumes the system is in equilibrium, meaning all forces are balanced and there is no acceleration. This may not be the case in dynamic systems or systems with changing forces. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculations depends on the accuracy of the given information and assumptions made.