2 weights on strings, 1 attached to pulley, the other end anchored

In summary, if you're not sure how to solve a physics problem, try to find a step-by-step guide or video online, or ask a friend for help. Welcome to the PF.
wolfpack4417

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/jE8SMDR
upload_2018-6-5_12-35-6.png

That's a drawing of the problem. I need to solve for the ? weight.

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

none, I don't want the answer, I just want the relevant equations. I haven't taken physics in a few years though (I'm out of college, trying to help a friend in high school physics). I used to be pretty good at this but if you don't use it for a while I guess you forget.

Attachments

• upload_2018-6-5_12-35-6.png
    upload_2018-6-5_12-35-6.png
    4.8 KB · Views: 744
Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
wolfpack4417 said:

Homework Statement

https://imgur.com/jE8SMDR That's a drawing of the problem. I need to solve for the ? weight.

Homework Equations

not sure

The Attempt at a Solution

none, I don't want the answer, I just want the relevant equations. I haven't taken physics in a few years though (I'm out of college, trying to help a friend in high school physics). I used to be pretty good at this but if you don't use it for a while I guess you forget.
Welcome to the PF.

Do you remember how to draw free body diagrams (FBDs)? With those, if nothing is moving, then the sum of all vector forces on each object must be zero. Can you show us your FBDs?

Hi wolfpack4417,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

I'm afraid that we can't provide any help without you showing some effort first. You must have some idea of some formulas you'll need, what sort of quantities and principles are involved, how forces sum, and so forth. You should at least be able to draw and label a Free Body Diagram (FBD) for the point where the strings meet.

Edit: Oops! @berkeman beat me to it!

Oh I do remember Free Body Diagrams, I'm at work right now, but I'll google that when I get home and try to draw some. I'm 27 and I took physics when I was 21, so it's a little blurry. My cousin asked me to try to help her with her homework and I felt like I would be able to remember enough to do it, but when she sent me the problem I had no idea haha.

Also when I was trying to solve it on my own, I felt like the length of the ropes would be relevant but she said she didn't remember the teacher telling her those values. Am I wrong in that assumption? It isn't due for 2 days she said, so she can ask in class tomorrow if she needs the lengths.

Likes haruspex
wolfpack4417 said:
Also when I was trying to solve it on my own, I felt like the length of the ropes would be relevant but she said she didn't remember the teacher telling her those values. Am I wrong in that assumption? It isn't due for 2 days she said, so she can ask in class tomorrow if she needs the lengths.
The rope lengths are irrelevant. Very likely the original problem statement would have declared them to be "light" or "massless", so their lengths would not alter the forces involved, either in magnitude or direction.

wolfpack4417 said:
It isn't due for 2 days
Even so, going through an intermediary will slow things down and risks being less helpful to the student. Can you persuade her to come into the thread in person?

Likes gneill and berkeman

1. How does the weight on a string affect the motion of the pulley?

The weight on a string can affect the motion of the pulley by creating tension in the string, which in turn, causes the pulley to rotate. The heavier the weight, the more tension is created, resulting in a faster rotation of the pulley.

2. What is the purpose of anchoring one end of the string?

Anchoring one end of the string provides a fixed point for the string to pull against. This allows for the creation of tension in the string and ultimately, the motion of the pulley.

3. Can the weights on a string, attached to a pulley, be in equilibrium?

Yes, it is possible for the weights to be in equilibrium if the weights and pulley are balanced and there is no net force acting on the system. This would result in the pulley being stationary.

4. How does the length of the string affect the motion of the pulley?

The length of the string can affect the motion of the pulley by changing the amount of tension in the string. A longer string will result in a longer distance for the weight to travel, causing a slower rotation of the pulley compared to a shorter string.

5. What other factors can affect the motion of the pulley in this system?

The weight of the pulley itself, friction in the pulley system, and the strength of the string can all affect the motion of the pulley. Additionally, external forces such as air resistance or wind can also impact the motion of the pulley.