2011 F = ma Contest Question # 25

• Thread starter clesling
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Contest
In summary, a hollow cylinder and a block are placed at the top of an inclined plane. The cylinder rolls down without slipping while the block slides down. Both objects reach the bottom at the same time. To find the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the plane, use the equation K = (1/2)MV^2 + (1/2)IW^2 with I = MR^2 and W = V/R. The answer is (1/2)tan(theta). The attempt at a solution involved using F = ma and assuming equal mass and velocity at the end, but these approaches were unsuccessful. By finding the acceleration of the rolling cylinder, the problem can be successfully solved.
clesling

Homework Statement

A hollow cylinder with a very thin wall (like a toilet paper tube) and a block are placed at rest at the top of a plane with inclination  above the horizontal. The cylinder rolls down the plane without slipping and the block slides down the plane; it is found that both objects reach the bottom of the plane simultaneously. What is the coefficient of kinetic friction between the block and the plane?

Homework Equations

K = (1/2)MV^2 + (1/2)IW^2 for I = MR^2 and W = V/R

The Attempt at a Solution

Answer is: (1/2)tan(theta)
I have tried many different approaches: F = ma as well as assuming the same mass and/or velocity at the end of the ramp, but have had no success. Thanks for your time and consideration!

Physics news on Phys.org
Start by finding the acceleration of the rolling cylinder.

Hey, thanks for the response! That really helped and I was able to figure this one out finally.

1. What is the "2011 F = ma Contest Question # 25" about?

The "2011 F = ma Contest Question # 25" is a physics problem that was used in the 2011 F = ma Contest, an annual high school physics competition organized by the American Association of Physics Teachers (AAPT). The question involves applying Newton's Laws of Motion to solve a complex problem.

2. How difficult is "2011 F = ma Contest Question # 25"?

The difficulty of the question can vary based on an individual's understanding and proficiency in physics. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging problem that requires a strong understanding of Newton's Laws of Motion and the ability to apply them in a complex scenario.

3. Is "2011 F = ma Contest Question # 25" relevant to real-world applications?

Yes, the question is based on real-world physics principles and can be applied to various scenarios, such as calculating the force needed to lift a heavy object or understanding the motion of objects in space.

4. Can I find the solution to "2011 F = ma Contest Question # 25" online?

Yes, the solution to the question can be found online, as it was published by the AAPT after the 2011 F = ma Contest. However, it is important to note that the question is copyrighted and should not be used for practice or preparation for future contests.

5. How can I prepare for "2011 F = ma Contest Question # 25"?

To prepare for this question, it is important to have a strong understanding of Newton's Laws of Motion and their applications. Practicing similar problems and familiarizing yourself with the format of the F = ma Contest can also be helpful.