Find the mass of a block on an inclined pulley

In summary, the problem involves a block traveling down an incline plane at a constant speed of 2m/s, pulling a 4kg block with a pulley and rope. The coefficient of friction is 0.12 and the question is asking for the weight of block A. By drawing free body diagrams and applying Newton's laws, two equations can be formed with two unknowns. The speed of the block is not relevant in this problem.
mt05

Homework Statement

Block A is traveling down an incline plane of 35 degrees at 2m/s. It's pulling a 4kg block with a pulley and rope. Coefficient of friction is.12. How heavy must block A be ?

Homework Equations

F=MA
F = WsinΦ + μWcosΦ
mgh = 1/2 mv^2 + WD to overcome friction
Vf^2 = u^2 + 2as

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm having a hard time thinking through this question. I know how to find the forces on an inclined plane and I understand that it needs to overcome the force of the 4kg block and accelerate it to 2m/s. Whenever I see velocity I automatically think of the linear velocity and acceleration equations. I'm not even sure where to begin. I've tried the above equations but it seems like I'm always missing a value. If someone could point me in the right direction I will try and post on here.

thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Here is nothing in the problem that implies acceleration. It is moving at a constant speed of 2 m/s.

yes, thank you.

F = Fg + KE
F = (4)(9.81) + 1/2(4)(2^2)
F = 47.24 N (so this is required force that block A must pull in order to move 4kg box at 2m/s)

I'm struggling to think of finding the force that an unknown mass has.

mt05 said:
yes, thank you.

F = Fg + KE
F = (4)(9.81) + 1/2(4)(2^2)
F = 47.24 N (so this is required force that block A must pull in order to move 4kg box at 2m/s)

I'm struggling to think of finding the force that an unknown mass has.
Your equation makes no sense. It is for starters dimensionally incorrect, since the gravity force is in Newtons and KE is in Newton-meters. And surely the angle of the incline comes into play.
You should start by drawing free body diagrams of each block, identify the forces acting on each, both known and unknown, and apply Newton’s laws. Which one of Newton’s laws applies for objects moving at constant velocity? You should end up with two equations with two unknowns, solve. The speed of the block is irrelevant.

What is the purpose of finding the mass of a block on an inclined pulley?

The purpose of finding the mass of a block on an inclined pulley is to determine the amount of force needed to lift or move the block, as well as to understand the relationship between the mass of the block and the angle of the incline.

How is the mass of a block on an inclined pulley calculated?

The mass of a block on an inclined pulley can be calculated by first measuring the angle of the incline and the force needed to lift or move the block. Then, by using the formula m = F/gsinθ, where m is the mass, F is the force, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and θ is the angle of the incline, the mass of the block can be determined.

Does the angle of the incline affect the mass of the block?

Yes, the angle of the incline does affect the mass of the block. As the angle of the incline increases, the amount of force needed to lift or move the block also increases. This means that the mass of the block will also increase, as shown by the formula m = F/gsinθ.

What are some common methods for measuring the angle of the incline?

Some common methods for measuring the angle of the incline include using a protractor, a digital angle finder, or a clinometer. These tools can provide accurate measurements of the angle and can help with calculating the mass of the block on the inclined pulley.

Are there any safety precautions to consider when finding the mass of a block on an inclined pulley?

Yes, there are some safety precautions to consider when finding the mass of a block on an inclined pulley. It is important to make sure that the pulley and the block are securely attached and that the incline is stable. It is also recommended to wear appropriate protective gear, such as goggles and gloves, when performing experiments involving pulleys and weights.