220VAC from broken neutral feed

In summary, the conversation discusses a situation where a squirrel broke the neutral wire, causing voltage to double and appliances to malfunction. The conversation also includes questions about how the voltage can increase without a neutral wire and why lights would dim instead of becoming brighter.
NavinRJohnson
My brother had something (squirrel?) break the neutral wire from the pole to the house a while back. He said all the lights dimmed, some of the appliances started to hum loud and it blew a couple breakers. After resetting the breakers and poking around a bit he eventually took a reading, found 220VAC on all the outlets and eventually spotted the broken wire from the pole. PG&E (West coast US utility company) service guy said it was the neutral wire broken.

Couple questions...
- How in heck can voltage double if neutral is lost? Is this a problem with certain transformer windings/wirings? I can't think of another way for the second phase to feed back to neutral except through the x-former.
- Why would lights (incandescent bulbs BTW) dim if the voltage increased? I would expect them to be brighter but, maybe not enough current with the broken neutral?

Engineering news on Phys.org

1. What does it mean to have a broken neutral feed?

A broken neutral feed refers to a situation where the neutral wire in a 220VAC electrical system is damaged or disconnected. The neutral wire is responsible for completing the circuit and providing a return path for the electricity, so if it is broken, the circuit will not function properly.

2. How does a broken neutral feed affect the electricity in my home?

When the neutral wire is broken, the electrical current in the circuit will be disrupted. This can result in uneven voltage distribution and potential overloading of appliances and devices. In some cases, it may also cause power surges or outages.

3. Can I still use my appliances with a broken neutral feed?

No, it is not safe to use any appliances or devices when there is a broken neutral feed. The uneven voltage distribution and potential power surges can cause damage to the appliances and also pose a fire hazard. It is important to have the issue fixed by a professional electrician.

4. How can I tell if I have a broken neutral feed?

One way to tell if you have a broken neutral feed is by checking the voltage of your outlets. If the voltage is significantly higher or lower than 220VAC, it could indicate a problem with the neutral wire. Additionally, you may notice flickering lights or appliances not functioning properly.

5. Can I fix a broken neutral feed myself?

No, it is not recommended to try and fix a broken neutral feed yourself. Working with electricity can be dangerous and should only be done by a trained professional. It is important to hire a licensed electrician to diagnose and repair the issue to ensure your safety and the proper functioning of your electrical system.