256 slice CT scan x-ray tube beam silent quiet

In summary, the speaker had their first CT scan and was surprised that they did not hear the x-ray beam when it was energized. They also requested a copy of the scan and wondered if they should have been able to audibly hear the beam. The expert responds by explaining that x-ray systems are designed to have an audio signal to indicate when the beam is on, but it may not be audible in the room due to background noise. They also mention that the high pitched sound heard in other types of x-rays may not be present in CT scans.
DWysWysD
Just has my first CT scan ever for low dose cardiac scoring.

Held my breath twice with gantry in fixed position and then once again with gantry spinning. I thought I would have heard the high pitched x-ray when beam energized but didn't at all. All I heard was normal fans and the mechanicals of the gantry rotating. This was a 256 slice unit. I requested the best the hospital had. Shouldn't I have audibly heard the x-ray tube energized during beam on?

Any thoughts ?

Last edited:
Biology news on Phys.org
Request a copy of the file so you can look at it at your leisure.
Hopefully it will come with a small viewing program.

I'm not sure that an x-ray tube inherently makes enough noise to be heard - particularly over the cooling fans and gantry of the CT.

X-ray systems should have some kind of an audio signal to indicate that the beam is on. This isn't noise from the tube or the rotating anode inside the housing. It's intentionally added to the design along with a visual signal for safety - so that the operators can confirm that it turns on and shuts off as desired and that no one is exposed to any unintentional radiation dose. Chances are, you didn't hear this because it's outside the room, at the operator station.

Likes berkeman
Very interesting. Ok thank you for that information. I was just thinking of things like chest x-rays and dental, you can hear the scanning/x-ray tube hissing for that fraction of time that it is energized. I think I have seen youtube videos where a camera is left on and you hear a high pitched tube sound.

1. What is a 256 slice CT scan?

A 256 slice CT scan is a type of medical imaging technique that uses a rotating x-ray tube and detector to create detailed cross-sectional images of the body. It is able to capture images with a higher resolution and faster speed than traditional CT scans, allowing for more accurate diagnoses and treatment planning.

2. What is an x-ray tube in a CT scan?

An x-ray tube is a component of a CT scanner that emits x-rays, which pass through the body and are detected by the scanner. The x-ray tube rotates around the patient, taking multiple images from different angles to create a 3D image.

3. What does the "256 slice" refer to in a CT scan?

The "256 slice" refers to the number of slices or images that can be captured by the CT scanner in one rotation of the x-ray tube. This means that the scanner can take 256 images in a single rotation, resulting in a more detailed and comprehensive image of the body.

4. Why is the x-ray tube in a 256 slice CT scan considered "silent" and "quiet"?

The x-ray tube in a 256 slice CT scan is designed to be quieter compared to older CT scanners. This is achieved through improved engineering and insulation, reducing the noise level during the scan. This allows for a more comfortable experience for the patient and less disruption in the surrounding environment.

5. What are the benefits of a 256 slice CT scan?

A 256 slice CT scan has several benefits, including faster scan times, higher image resolution, and reduced radiation exposure for the patient. It also allows for more accurate and detailed imaging, leading to improved diagnoses and treatment planning for a variety of medical conditions.