27year old math major going into physics

In summary, the individual is seeking advice on their situation as a 27-year-old graduate with a B.S. in pure mathematics and a desire to pursue a career in physics/astronomy. They have a 3.0 GPA and limited physics experience, and are wondering if any programs in the US would consider them. They are currently working in a different field and plan to take graduate physics courses at a local university in the next year.
planethunter
Hello all,

I want to know your opinions on my situation.

I am 27 years old. I graduated from Cal State Long Beach in 2005 with a B.S. in pure mathematics. My gpa was not that great (3.0) and started the masters in applied math program the following year but got an F and then a C in a course (complex analysis and pde, resp). I think I just wasn’t passionate about math anymore. My passion has always been astronomy and physics, and I wanted to get a good foundation in math so that is why I majored in math. I keep up to date with physics news as well as study it on my own. I took undergraduate mechanics my freshman year and got a B in the course, but I have not taken anymore physics since then.

I would like to be able to study physics/astronomy at the PHD level but given the standards of admission for any school in California, and given the sh$%ty economy here, I think I might have to go out of state to get into a program.

Before and since I graduate, I have worked as a civil engineer and currently work in the accounting field. I know that these are not my passions and ultimately I want to become a physics professor/researcher. I have a 1 year old daughter with my wife, and I feel that I want to show her that anything is possible and not to settle for the sure thing career like medicine, law, etc. But to follow your passions.

What does everyone think? Given my 3.0 gpa and my limited physics, are there any programs in the US that would take a chance on me? I do plan in the next year to take at least 2 graduate physics courses at a local university here in CA.

Thank you all in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
In all honesty, I think you may have some difficulty getting into a physics graduate program without having taken a physics course beyond first year. Likely you will have to take at least a few senior-level courses at the undergraduate level to get in. Doing this and doing it well will help to offset a not-so-great performance in graduate school.

Dear 27-year-old math major,

First of all, I want to commend you for following your passions and not settling for a career that does not fulfill you. It takes courage and determination to pursue a field that you are truly passionate about, and I believe that you have what it takes to succeed in physics and astronomy.

Your background in pure mathematics is actually an advantage for pursuing a PhD in physics, as mathematics is a fundamental tool in this field. While your GPA may not be as high as some other applicants, it is important to remember that admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements. Your passion and self-study in physics and astronomy will also be viewed positively.

As for finding a program in the US, I suggest looking into smaller or less competitive universities that may be more open to taking a chance on applicants with a lower GPA. Additionally, reaching out to professors at these universities and expressing your interest in their research may also increase your chances of being accepted. It may also be beneficial to take more graduate physics courses to strengthen your application.

Overall, I believe that with your determination and passion, you have a good chance of being accepted into a PhD program in physics and astronomy. Don't let your age or past academic setbacks discourage you, and continue to pursue your dreams. Best of luck to you!

Related to 27year old math major going into physics

1. What inspired you to switch from math to physics?

I have always been fascinated by the laws and principles that govern the universe, and I wanted to explore them in a more applied and experimental way.

2. Will your math background be beneficial in your study of physics?

Absolutely. Math is the language of physics, and having a strong foundation in math will help me understand and apply complex theoretical concepts in my research.

3. Are there any particular subfields of physics that you are interested in?

Yes, I am particularly interested in theoretical physics and astrophysics. I am also interested in exploring the intersection of math and physics in fields like quantum mechanics and string theory.

4. What kind of career opportunities are available for someone with a math and physics background?

There are a variety of career options for someone with a math and physics background, including research positions in academia, government, and private industry. Other options include teaching, consulting, and data analysis.

5. How do you plan to apply your knowledge in math and physics to real-world problems?

My goal is to use my understanding of math and physics to contribute to solving real-world problems, whether it be developing new technologies, understanding natural phenomena, or making advancements in the field of renewable energy.