2D collision of billiard balls

In summary, two billiard balls of equal mass collide at the origin of an xy coordinate system. Initially, ball A is moving along the y axis at +2.0 m/s, and ball B is moving to the right along the x axis at +3.7 m/s. After the collision, the second ball is moving along the positive y axis. Using the equations for conservation of momentum and kinetic energy, the final direction of ball A and the speeds of both balls can be determined. However, there are three unknowns and equations, so the system must be solved to find the solution.
PStudent111

Homework Statement

Two billiard balls of equal mass move at right angles and meet at the origin of an xy coordinate system. Initially ball A is moving along the y axis at +2.0 m/s, and ball B is moving to the right along the x axis with speed +3.7 m/s. After the collision (assumed elastic), the second ball is moving along the positive y axis.

What is the final direction of ball A, and what are the speeds of the two balls?

Homework Equations

x direction: mbvb=mava'cosθa

y direction: mava=mava'sinθa+mbvb'sinθb

conservation of KE: va2+vb2=va'2+vb'2

Alright, so I've played around with the equations and I just cannot seem to arrive at the solution by myself. I do have the solutions manual and I understand the way in which they arrived at the solution, but I honestly would never have thought to manipulate the equations in the way they did. So, I'm posting the problem on here to see if you guys have an alternative way to solve these types of problems.

Physics news on Phys.org
The second ball has velocity only in the Y direction, the first ball may still have velocity components in both X and Y directions. That gives you three unknowns. You have conservation of momentum in X and Y - two equations - and conservation of KE because the collision is elastic, thus three equations for three variables. Solve the system.

Related to 2D collision of billiard balls

1. How does the angle of collision affect the direction of motion in a 2D collision of billiard balls?

The angle of collision between two billiard balls will determine the direction in which they will move after the collision. If the balls collide at a 90 degree angle, they will move off in opposite directions. If the angle is less than 90 degrees, the balls will move in slightly different directions, but still away from each other. If the angle is greater than 90 degrees, the balls will move towards each other after the collision.

2. What factors influence the outcome of a 2D collision between billiard balls?

The outcome of a 2D collision between billiard balls is influenced by several factors, including the mass, velocity, and angle of collision of the balls. In addition, the elasticity or bounciness of the balls and the surface on which they are colliding can also affect the outcome.

3. Can two billiard balls with the same mass and velocity collide and come to a complete stop?

Yes, it is possible for two billiard balls with the same mass and velocity to collide and come to a complete stop. This occurs when the collision is perfectly elastic, meaning that no kinetic energy is lost during the collision. In this scenario, the momentum of the two balls is transferred to each other, causing them to stop moving.

4. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the outcome of a 2D collision between billiard balls?

The coefficient of restitution is a measure of the elasticity or bounciness of a surface. In a 2D collision between billiard balls, a higher coefficient of restitution means that the balls will bounce off each other with greater speed and momentum, while a lower coefficient of restitution will result in a less energetic collision and slower movement of the balls after impact.

5. Can the outcome of a 2D collision between billiard balls be predicted accurately?

While the outcome of a 2D collision between billiard balls can be predicted using mathematical equations and principles of physics, there are many factors that can affect the actual outcome. These include imperfections in the balls and the surface, as well as external forces such as air resistance. Therefore, while the outcome can be estimated, it may not always be 100% accurate in real-world scenarios.