2D Dynamics Work-Energy Problem

In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of work done by a couple and the equations to determine the mass moment of inertia for a uniform, slender beam. It also discussed the relationship between work and total energy, as well as the equations for kinetic and potential energy. The solution provided involved using the parallel axes theorem to calculate the mass moment of inertia for bar AB and using the equations for rotational and translational kinetic energy to solve for the velocity.
Gaps_to_fill

Homework Statement

93NhS.jpg

Homework Equations

Work done by a couple (U) = ∫M dθ
Where M is the applied bending moment and θ is angle

For a uniform, slender beam mass moment of inertia (I) through an axis perpendicular to the beam and passing through the centre of mass = [itex]\frac{mL^{2}}{12}[/itex]
If the axis passes through either end of the bar rather than the centre:
I = [itex]\frac{mL^{2}}{3}[/itex]
Where m is mass of the beam and L is length of the beam

ΔWork = ΔTotal Energy

Kinetic energy (T) (translational) = 0.5mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]
T (rotational) = 0.5Iω[itex]^{2}[/itex]
Potential energy (Vg) = mgh
Where v is velocity, ω is angular velocity, g is acceleration due to gravity and h is height

v = rω

The Attempt at a Solution

We were given a broad outline and final solution to the problem but I've been having difficulty making sense of it.
qUvzA.jpg

I understand how they found potential energy, treat mg as a point force acting on the bars centre of mass:
Initial Ep = mgh = mg(0.5b×cosθ)
Then because there's two beams:
Initial Ep (total) = mgb×cosθ
In the final state the bars are nearly vertical so I assumed θ is negligable:
Final Ep (total) = 2mgh = 2mg(0.5b) = mgb

I also get why U = Mθ and initial kinetic energy is 0 but I get lost when looking at their final term for kinetic energy and the final solution.

I would've thought the kinetic energy in the final state would be the rotational componant of bar OB plus the rotational and translational components of bar AB:
T = I[itex]_{OB}[/itex]ω + I[itex]_{AB}[/itex]ω + 0.5mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]
= ω([itex]\frac{mL^{2}}{3}[/itex]+[itex]\frac{mL^{2}}{12}[/itex]) + 0.5mv[itex]^{2}[/itex]
I can see that instead the solutions use the parallel axes theorem but I don't understand how it's used here.

If I had the right T term I'd equate the total energy (Vg + T) of the initial and final states and try to solve for the velocity from there (though I'm not quite sure how).

If anyone can help clarify what's happening in the solutions or how else I might get the velocity it would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The solution provided is:Using the parallel axes theorem for bar AB:I_{AB} = I_{CM} + md^{2} Where d is distance from centre of mass to either end of the beamFinal T (for both bars) = 0.5(I_{OB} + I_{AB})ω^{2}= 0.5(0.5mL^{2} + 1.5mL^{2})ω^{2} = 2.5mL^{2}ω^{2}Therefore, ΔWork = ΔTotal Energy U = mgb = 2.5mL^{2}ω^{2} Therefore, ω = \sqrt{\frac{mgb}{2.5mL^{2}}} v = rω = \sqrt{\frac{r^{2}mgb}{2.5mL^{2}}}

What is the definition of work in 2D dynamics work-energy problems?

In 2D dynamics work-energy problems, work is defined as the product of force and displacement in the direction of the force. This means that work is only done when there is a component of force in the direction of motion.

How do you calculate the net work done on an object in 2D dynamics work-energy problems?

To calculate the net work done on an object in 2D dynamics work-energy problems, you need to find the work done by each individual force acting on the object and then add them together. This can be represented by the equation W = F1d1 + F2d2 + ... + Fn dn, where W is the total work done, F is the force acting on the object, and d is the displacement in the direction of the force.

What is the relationship between work and kinetic energy in 2D dynamics work-energy problems?

In 2D dynamics work-energy problems, the work done on an object is equal to the change in its kinetic energy. This is known as the work-energy theorem and can be represented by the equation W = ΔK = Kf - Ki, where W is the work done, ΔK is the change in kinetic energy, and Kf and Ki are the final and initial kinetic energies of the object, respectively.

Can the total work done on an object in 2D dynamics work-energy problems be negative?

Yes, the total work done on an object in 2D dynamics work-energy problems can be negative. This indicates that the object has lost energy, either through friction or other dissipative forces. This negative work is often represented as a decrease in kinetic energy.

What is the principle of conservation of energy in 2D dynamics work-energy problems?

The principle of conservation of energy states that in a closed system, energy can neither be created nor destroyed, but can only be transferred from one form to another. In 2D dynamics work-energy problems, this means that the total work done on an object is equal to the change in its total energy, which includes both kinetic and potential energy. This principle can be used to solve for unknown quantities in a problem, such as the final velocity or height of an object.