2D elastic collision in CM Frame, velocities antiparallel?

In summary, the Center of Momentum velocities of masses after a 2D elastic collision are anti-parallel because in the centre-of-mass frame of reference, the velocity of the Center of Mass is zero. This means that the colliding particles have equal and opposite velocities relative to the Center of Mass.
hsbhsb

Homework Statement

Why are the Center of Momentum velocities of masses after a 2D elastic collision anti-parallel? (as in the following diagram)
ZjhFlcz.png

Homework Equations

CM_Velocity = (∑m_i*v_i)/(∑m_i)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not actually a problem I have to do. I am just looking for a proof of this fact. I have not been able to find one online, but have probably been looking in the wrong places!

Physics news on Phys.org
hsbhsb said:

Homework Statement

Why are the Center of Momentum velocities of masses after a 2D elastic collision anti-parallel? (as in the following diagram)
ZjhFlcz.png

Homework Equations

CM_Velocity = (∑m_i*v_i)/(∑m_i)

The Attempt at a Solution

This is not actually a problem I have to do. I am just looking for a proof of this fact. I have not been able to find one online, but have probably been looking in the wrong places!

What is the velocity of the CM in the centre-of-mass frame of reference? What does it mean for the colliding particles, how are their velocities related?

Related to 2D elastic collision in CM Frame, velocities antiparallel?

1. What is a 2D elastic collision in the center of mass (CM) frame?

A 2D elastic collision in the CM frame refers to a collision between two objects where the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This frame of reference is chosen because it simplifies the equations and allows for a clearer understanding of the collision.

2. What does it mean for velocities to be antiparallel in a 2D elastic collision in the CM frame?

In a 2D elastic collision, antiparallel velocities refer to the situation where the initial velocities of the two objects are in opposite directions. This is often represented by one object moving to the left and the other moving to the right.

3. How are the velocities of two objects related after a 2D elastic collision in the CM frame?

After a 2D elastic collision in the CM frame, the velocities of the two objects are related by the conservation of momentum and kinetic energy equations. This means that the total momentum and kinetic energy of the system before and after the collision are equal.

4. What is the equation for calculating the final velocities of two objects after a 2D elastic collision in the CM frame?

The equation for calculating the final velocities of two objects after a 2D elastic collision in the CM frame is given by: v1f = (m1-m2)v1i/(m1+m2) and v2f = 2m1v1i/(m1+m2) where m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects and v1i is the initial velocity of the first object.

5. What are some real-life examples of 2D elastic collisions in the CM frame?

Some real-life examples of 2D elastic collisions in the CM frame include billiard balls colliding on a pool table, two cars colliding in opposite directions with similar masses, and two hockey pucks colliding on an ice rink.