2D - What is the next point given this info.

In summary, the conversation discusses a two-dimensional environment where an object with a starting point and initial velocity is subject to a constant rate of turning and acceleration from itself. The formula for the final point (x2,y2) is requested, and the problem is identified as a variation of kinematics with variable acceleration. The concept of sliding is also introduced. The possibility of the resulting path being a quarter of an ellipse is brought up, but the correct method is uncertain. The acceleration being independent of velocity and cyclical is noted, and it is suggested to transform the initial velocity away for easier solving.
stvrbbns
In a two-dimensional environment:
Given:
  • a starting point (x1,y1)
  • an initial velocity (speed and 2D heading/direction)
  • a constant rate of turning (yaw, since there is no roll or pitch in only two dimensions)
  • a constant acceleration of the object from itself (not like gravity where the direction of the acceleration is relatively constant - "down" - but like a rocket that is propelling itself)
  • a time change t1 to t2
What is the formula for the final point (x2,y2)? What kind of physics problem do I have on my hands? Is this just a variation on kinematics with variable acceleration (varying direction of acceleration instead of amount), or is it qualitatively different?

There is no sliding.

(turning without accelerating example) If it is headed north/up from (0,0) and turns 90 degrees to the right at a speed of pi/10 per second, then after 10 seconds it will be at (2,2).

I just guessed at thread title prefix thread level. Let me know if it is incorrect and I can try to change it.

Physics news on Phys.org
stvrbbns said:
Intuitively I think that this should result in a path which might be visualized as a quarter of an ellipse and I was trying to work off of http://www.physicsclassroom.com/class/1DKin/Lesson-6/Kinematic-Equations and http://www.numericana.com/answer/ellipse.htm but I'm not sure this is the correct direction/method.
Note that the acceleration is independent of velocity. So the first trick you should automatically try is to transform the velocity away and assume that starting velocity is always zero.

Now note that acceleration is cyclical. The "rocket motor" spins at a constant rate regardless. This is consistent with uniform circular motion. So the resulting motion will be the superposition of uniform circular motion on constant velocity motion. So the first trick was slightly wrong. One needs to transform the initial velocity away, leaving just the appropriate tangential velocity.

At that point, solving for position as a function of time is trivial.

1. What is 2D?

2D stands for two-dimensional and refers to a flat surface that only has length and width, with no depth. It is commonly used in geometry, graphics, and computer science.

2. How is 2D different from 3D?

The main difference between 2D and 3D is the presence of depth. While 2D only has length and width, 3D objects have width, height, and depth, making them more realistic and able to be viewed from different angles.

3. What is the next point in 2D?

In 2D, the next point can be determined by adding or subtracting values from the current point's coordinates. For example, if the current point is (2,3), the next point could be (3,3) or (2,2), depending on the direction and distance given.

4. How is 2D used in science?

2D is used in various fields of science, including physics, biology, and chemistry. It is used to represent and analyze data, create visualizations, and model complex systems. 2D graphs and diagrams are also commonly used to present scientific findings.

5. Can 2D be used to represent real-life objects?

While 2D objects do not have depth, they can still be used to represent real-life objects by using measurements and proportions. For example, a 2D map can accurately represent a real location by using a scale to determine distances and proportions between different points.