Calculate Acceleration using relative distances

Then, you can add ##V_{x}## to the relative speed of the first car in the x direction to get the x component of the first car's velocity. Similarly, you can add ##V_{y}## to the relative speed of the first car in the y direction to get the y component of the first car's velocity.In summary, the first car's speed in the x direction can be calculated by adding the x component of the second car's velocity to the relative speed of the first car in the x direction. Similarly, the first car's speed in the y direction can be calculated by adding the y component of the second car's velocity to the relative speed of the first car in the y direction. This can be
Ash_Sdr

Homework Statement

There are two cars traveling in a same direction. The Second car has a camera mounted on it and has ability to give relative X and Y (in meters) distance of first car with respect to it. Given the Speed of Second car , Calculate the Speed and Acceleration of first car. The First car gives relative x and y distances for every 0.01 seconds.

Homework Equations

Differentiation of distance gives velocity and double differentiation of distance gives me acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

Vx = (x2-x1)/(t2-t1) ; t2-t1 is 0.01 seconds
; x2 is the X distance at second time instant and x1 is at first time instant
Vy = (y2-y1)/(t2-t1)

Speed = Sqrt(Vx^2 + Vy^2)

Ax = (Vx2 – Vx1)/ (t2-t1)

Ay = (Vy2 – Vy1)/ (t2-t1) I am not considering the Speed of Second vehicle at all... I think that's where I am getting wrong results. As camera gives me the relative x and y , and since camera itself is moving , Do I need to add the Speed to Vx and then compute acceleration >?

Physics news on Phys.org
Since they are traveling in the same direction, you can just add the speed of the first car to the speed of the second car. If they were traveling in different directions, then you would have to be more careful and add up the components of velocity.

Also, make sure your signs are right for the speed. If the second car is going faster than the first car, then you should subtract the relative speed of the first car from the speed of the second car.

Thanks NFuller for clarifying it.

Let me explain what I understood ...

let Vs be the speed of Second car which has camera mounted . Vs = sqrt(Vsx2 + Vsy2 )

For two time instants , 0.01 second and 0.02 Second ... I get relative (x1,y1) and (x2,y2) as (5.2,0.4) and (6.8,0.5) in meters

Speed of First vehicle in X direction is Vsx + (x2-x1)/0.01 (or) Since they are traveling in straight direction , can i say Vs+ (x2-x1)/0.01 ??

Ash_Sdr said:
Vsx + (x2-x1)/0.01
This is correct, since you are adding the x component of the second car's velocity to the x component of the first car's velocity.
Ash_Sdr said:
Vs+ (x2-x1)/0.01
This is incorrect, since you are adding the total speed of the second car (which contains both x and y dependence) to only the x component of the first car's velocity.

The trick here is finding the components of velocity ##V_{x}## and ##V_{y}## of the second car using the speed of the second car and the direction of the first car.

1. How do you calculate acceleration using relative distances?

To calculate acceleration using relative distances, you first need to measure the initial and final positions of the object, as well as the time it takes to move from the initial to the final position. Then, you can use the formula a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

2. What is the formula for calculating acceleration using relative distances?

The formula for calculating acceleration using relative distances is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. Can acceleration be negative when using relative distances?

Yes, acceleration can be negative when using relative distances. This indicates that the object is decelerating, or slowing down, as it moves from the initial to the final position.

4. How does distance affect the calculation of acceleration using relative distances?

Distance does not directly affect the calculation of acceleration using relative distances. However, a longer distance may result in a longer time, which would result in a smaller acceleration. Conversely, a shorter distance may result in a shorter time, which would result in a larger acceleration.

5. What units are used when calculating acceleration using relative distances?

The units used when calculating acceleration using relative distances are meters per second squared (m/s²) for acceleration, meters per second (m/s) for velocity, and seconds (s) for time.