2nd order differential equations

In summary: This is not a mistake, it is just how the problem is solved.In summary, the solution to the differential equation y''-3y'+2y=e^t with initial conditions y(0)=0 and y'(0)=-1 is y=-te^t. This is because the particular solution, yp=-te^t, also satisfies the general solution and the initial conditions, making it the complete solution. The complementary function, yh=Ce^t+Ae^(2t), was a trivial solution due to the initial conditions.
pyroknife
y''-3y'+2y=e^t y(0)=0 y'(0)=-1

yh=solution to homogeneous equation (y''-3y'+2y=0) = Ce^t+Ae^(2t)
C and A are constants

yp=solution to particular solution (e^t)
yp=ae^t where a is a constant. It turns out that this solves the homogenuous solution so I had to multiply it by a factor of t giving
yp=a*t*e^t
yp'=a(e^t+te^t)
yp''=a(e^t+e^t+te^2)=a(2e^2+te^2)
subsitution this into the original equation gives a=-1. Thus yp=-te^t

the solution is then y(t)=yh+yp=Ce^t+Ae^(2t)-te^t
Now I solve for C and A

0=C+A C=-A
y'(t)=Ce^t+2Ae^(2t)-e^t-te^2
-1=C+2A-1 -1=-A+2A-1 A=0 C=0

The problem with this is when I solve it I get that C=A=0 which means that the homogenuous solution was a TRIVIAL solution. I've never experienced a problem like this yet. Would that just mean the solution is y=yp=-te^2?

Physics news on Phys.org
pyroknife said:
y''-3y'+2y=e^t y(0)=0 y'(0)=-1

yh=solution to homogeneous equation (y''-3y'+2y=0) = Ce^t+Ae^(2t)
C and A are constants

yp=solution to particular solution (e^t)
yp=ae^t where a is a constant. It turns out that this solves the homogenuous solution so I had to multiply it by a factor of t giving
yp=a*t*e^t
yp'=a(e^t+te^t)
yp''=a(e^t+e^t+te^2)=a(2e^2+te^2)
subsitution this into the original equation gives a=-1. Thus yp=-te^t

the solution is then y(t)=yh+yp=Ce^t+Ae^(2t)-te^t
Now I solve for C and A

0=C+A C=-A
y'(t)=Ce^t+2Ae^(2t)-e^t-te^2
-1=C+2A-1 -1=-A+2A-1 A=0 C=0

The problem with this is when I solve it I get that C=A=0 which means that the homogenuous solution was a TRIVIAL solution. I've never experienced a problem like this yet. Would that just mean the solution is y=yp=-te^2?

You can check for yourself.
First, verify that your general solution satisifies the initial conditions.
Second, verify that your general solution satisfies the differential equation.

If both check out, you're golden.

Mark44 said:
You can check for yourself.
First, verify that your general solution satisifies the initial conditions.
Second, verify that your general solution satisfies the differential equation.

If both check out, you're golden.

Yes, I know that, but in this case the particular solution is also the general solution. The particular solution always solves the differential equation and its initial conditions. Checking that would only prove the particular solution solves the diff eq. If I made a mistake where the homogenuous equation was not = 0, then this method will not let me see that.

That all comes out in the wash, so to speak. Again, if your general solution satisfies the initial conditions and the differential equation, it's good.

The complementary function, which is the solution to the homogeneous equation, is a solution to the homogeneous equation for any values of the constants, including the case where both are zero. For your problem, the complementary function was the trivial solution because of the initial conditions.

Related to 2nd order differential equations

1. What is a 2nd order differential equation?

A 2nd order differential equation is a mathematical equation that involves a dependent variable, its first derivative, and its second derivative with respect to an independent variable. It is commonly used in physics and engineering to model systems that involve acceleration, velocity, and position.

2. What is the general form of a 2nd order differential equation?

The general form of a 2nd order differential equation is:
y'' + P(x)y' + Q(x)y = R(x)

where y is the dependent variable, x is the independent variable, y' is the first derivative of y with respect to x, y'' is the second derivative of y with respect to x, and P(x), Q(x), and R(x) are functions of x.

3. How do you solve a 2nd order differential equation?

To solve a 2nd order differential equation, you can use a variety of methods such as separation of variables, substitution, or using specific formulas for certain types of equations. It is important to first identify the type of equation and choose the appropriate method for solving it.

4. What is the difference between a homogeneous and non-homogeneous 2nd order differential equation?

A homogeneous 2nd order differential equation has a right-hand side of zero, meaning that all terms contain the dependent variable and its derivatives. A non-homogeneous 2nd order differential equation has a non-zero right-hand side with terms that do not contain the dependent variable or its derivatives.

5. How are 2nd order differential equations used in real-world applications?

2nd order differential equations are used to model and understand the behavior of various physical systems, such as motion, vibrations, and electrical circuits. They also have applications in economics, biology, and other fields where variables change over time. Solving these equations can provide insights and predictions about the behavior of these systems.