2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of perturbation or multiple scale method to find the third-order approximate solution for a given differential equation. The process involves solving the non-perturbated ODE and then adding a term with coefficient epsilon. Boundary conditions are also suggested to avoid generating solutions growing without bound. Different approaches, such as using two time scales, are also mentioned. The conversation ends with the suggestion to refer to a Wikipedia link for further guidance.
Johnmm
Hi everyone,

I need some help to solve this differential equation.

The question states "Use the perturbation or multiple scale method to find the third-order approximate solution for the following system:

diff(x(t), t, t)+w^2*x(t)*(1+epsilon*x(t)^2) = 0 "

Currently, I am still reading and studying on this perturbation method.

Any advise or directions of what I need to do is much appreciated.
Thank you for your help in advance.

John

Attachments

• Screenshot 2014-09-07 02.22.34.png
    Screenshot 2014-09-07 02.22.34.png
    8.3 KB · Views: 500
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi !

First, solve the non-perturbated ODE.
Then, add a term with coefficient epsilon (see attachment) :

Attachments

• perturbated ODE.JPG
    perturbated ODE.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 484
JJacquelin said:
Hi !

Hi JJacquelin

Thank you very much for your help,
I will try it and see if I could reach the result in that picture.
Thank you again for helping me out.

JJacquelin said:
Hi !

Hi JJacquelin,

Line 7 on your attached picture, I had a little different than yours. I had X^3 instead of X^2.
I am still working on it. Please let me know.
Thank you,

Attachments

• attachment.jpg
    attachment.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 290
Hi Jhonmm !

You are right it isn't X^2 but X^3. This changes some terms of my comments, but this doesn't change the method to solve the problem. I suppose that you can continue by yourself.

JJacquelin said:
Hi Jhonmm !

You are right it isn't X^2 but X^3. This changes some terms of my comments, but this doesn't change the method to solve the problem. I suppose that you can continue by yourself.

Hi JJacquelin,
Thank you for the help.
I will follow this method to the rest.

"Perturbated"? Isn't the standard "perturbed" simpler and better?

HallsofIvy said:
"Perturbated"? Isn't the standard "perturbed" simpler and better?

I think it is perturbed.

You should probably give us some boundary conditions since otherwise you might generate solutions growing without bound.

Strum said:
You should probably give us some boundary conditions since otherwise you might generate solutions growing without bound.

The question didn't give boundary conditions. But I think it should be x(0)=x0 and [itex]\dot{x(0)}[/itex]=[itex]\dot{x}[/itex]0.

Maybe take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincaré–Lindstedt_method. Or you could expand using 2 time scales instead using for example
$$
\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}} = \partial_{\tau\tau}x_{0} + \epsilon\left( \partial_{\tau\tau}x_{1} + 2\partial_{\tau T}x_{0} \right)
$$
Differential equations with oscillating solutions doesn't always behave nice when using the usual perturbative approach.

Edit: The wiki link actually treats the same equation as you are looking at! Sometimes you're lucky I guess.

Strum said:
Maybe take a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poincaré–Lindstedt_method. Or you could expand using 2 time scales instead using for example
$$
\frac{d^{2}x}{dt^{2}} = \partial_{\tau\tau}x_{0} + \epsilon\left( \partial_{\tau\tau}x_{1} + 2\partial_{\tau T}x_{0} \right)
$$
Differential equations with oscillating solutions doesn't always behave nice when using the usual perturbative approach.

Edit: The wiki link actually treats the same equation as you are looking at! Sometimes you're lucky I guess.

Thank you for your reply. I will take a look into the wiki link. :smile:

Related to 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equation

1. What is a 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equation?

A 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equation is a mathematical equation that involves the second derivative of an unknown function, and the function itself is raised to a power or multiplied by another function. It is a type of differential equation that is more complex than a linear differential equation.

2. What is the difference between a 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equation and a 2nd Order Linear Differential Equation?

A 2nd Order Linear Differential Equation only involves the second derivative of an unknown function and the function itself, without any powers or other functions involved. A 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equation, on the other hand, involves the second derivative of an unknown function and the function itself, raised to a power or multiplied by another function.

3. What are some real-life applications of 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equations?

2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equations are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and biology to model complex nonlinear systems. Some examples include the motion of a pendulum, population growth, and the spread of diseases.

4. How do you solve a 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equation?

There is no one-size-fits-all method for solving 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equations, as the specific method will depend on the form of the equation. However, some common techniques include separation of variables, substitution, and power series methods.

5. What is the significance of the order in a 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equation?

The order of a differential equation refers to the highest derivative present in the equation. In a 2nd Order Nonlinear Differential Equation, the highest derivative is a second derivative. This means that there are two independent variables in the equation, which makes it more complex to solve compared to a 1st Order Nonlinear Differential Equation.