2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction

In summary, you are struggling with the proof for the second order energy correction for perturbation theory. You have attached an image of your current proof for it below, but you are not sure whether this is the correct approach for it. You are still quite new to using Dirac notation for these calculations so thought you should double-check it.
electrogeek
Hi everyone,

I'm struggling with the proof for the second order energy correction for perturbation theory when substituting in the first order wavefunction. I have attached an image of my current proof for it below, but I'm not sure whether this is the correct approach for it (the H's in the calculations below are hamiltonian operators)! I'm still quite new to using Dirac notation for these calculations so thought I should double-check it.

Cheers!

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 13.10.16.png

Physics news on Phys.org
You seem to have the right idea. Be careful you don't take objects outside of sums when they have the sum index (you have done this in your derivation). Second, check your use of the complex conjugate.
##\langle\psi|\hat{A}|\chi\rangle^*=\langle\chi|\hat{A}^{\dagger}|\psi\rangle##

Likes electrogeek and vanhees71
Thank you for the help! I've now got to this stage which I've attached below instead of taking the ket out of the summation like I did previously:

Screenshot 2020-03-28 at 15.39.06.png

But I'm confused why taking the complex conjugate of the first term in the numerator isn't just swapping around the terms in the bra and the ket?

Last edited:
Alright, good. I think you've ironed out the calculational problems.

electrogeek said:
But I'm confused why taking the complex conjugate of the first term in the numerator isn't just swapping around the terms in the bra and the ket?

When the operator sandwiched between the bra and ket is self-adjoint ##A^{\dagger}=A##, which is true for the Hamiltonians you are concerned with, then complex conjugating is "just swapping" the terms around. However, just because an operator is self-adjoint and has real eigenvalues that does not mean that a generic term ##\langle\psi|\hat{H}|\chi\rangle## is real.

Haborix said:
Alright, good. I think you've ironed out the calculational problems.
When the operator sandwiched between the bra and ket is self-adjoint $A^{\dagger}=A$, which is true for the Hamiltonians you are concerned with, then complex conjugating is "just swapping" the terms around. However, just because an operator is self-adjoint and has real eigenvalues that does not mean that a generic term ##\langle\psi|\hat{H}|\chi\rangle## is real.

Ah brilliant! Thank you very much for all the help. :)

Likes Haborix
My pleasure, happy studying!

1. What is 2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction?

2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction is a method used in quantum mechanics to calculate the energy of a system by taking into account the effects of perturbations, or small disturbances, on the system's energy levels. It is a more accurate approach than the first-order perturbation theory because it takes into account higher-order corrections.

2. How is 2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction calculated?

To calculate the 2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction, the perturbation Hamiltonian is squared and then multiplied by the first-order wavefunction. This result is then integrated over all possible values of the perturbation variable. The final energy correction is then added to the unperturbed energy of the system.

3. What are the advantages of using 2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction?

The main advantage of using 2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction is that it provides a more accurate calculation of the energy of a system compared to first-order perturbation theory. It takes into account higher-order corrections, which can be significant in some systems. Additionally, it is a relatively simple and straightforward method to use.

4. What are the limitations of 2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction?

One limitation of 2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction is that it assumes the perturbation is small enough to be treated as a perturbation. If the perturbation is too large, the results may not be accurate. Additionally, this method may not work well for systems with degenerate energy levels.

5. How is 2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction applied in real-world scenarios?

2nd Order Perturbation Theory Energy Correction is commonly used in quantum chemistry and physics to calculate the energy of molecules and atoms. It is also used in other fields such as solid-state physics and nuclear physics. This method allows for more accurate predictions of the energy levels of these systems, which can then be used to understand their properties and behavior.